Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question Regarding Piece Under Rail

Date: 10/27/16 20:08
Question Regarding Piece Under Rail
Author: cornerfieldhobby

I've been into Railroading my whole life, but one piece that is applied to a rail near the tie under each rail has me always wondering about that piece and what is it used for? The piece I'm talking about looks like a question mark to the each side of a tie under the rail. Is it a clamp to hold the tie in place better, maybe?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 20:09 by cornerfieldhobby.

Date: 10/27/16 20:39
Re: Question Regarding Piece Under Rail
Author: bioyans

Sounds like you are referring to the rail anchors. Welded rail that is spiked tends to "run" as the train passes over it, which can cause the ties to creep and skew. Anchors prevent the ties from shifting. Incidentally, rail that is held down with Pandrol clips doesn't "run," so they don't require anchors.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/27/16 20:40
Author: TRACKENGR

It sounds like you are describing a rail anchor.  Rail anchors are used to "anchor" the rail at the tie so as to preclude excessive longitudinal rail movement which occurs with rail as temperature changes.  Note that Continuously Welded Rail (CWR) requires a different and more agressive anchoring pattern.  I've attached some examples of rail anchors below, I hope they transferred well....I've never added photos to my posts on TO before.  Anyway, I hope this answers your question.  Steve
http://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Me17d8f2dc1ff5432b004facb2dc3b011o0&pid=15.1

Date: 10/28/16 08:32
Author: OCVarnes

Thanks for posting the illustrations.

I am familiar with the "J" shaped rail anchor. I don't remember ever seeing the two types above it.

That's what makes railfannning so interesting. No matter how long you have rail fanned something new comes your way.

OCV

Date: 10/28/16 18:09

Thanks to everyone that replied. Yes that's what I'm talking about. I kind of figured that's the purpose to keep the ties from moving. Thanks. 

Date: 10/29/16 20:23
Author: MP555

cornerfieldhobby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I kind of figured that's the
> purpose to keep the ties from moving.

As already mentioned, rail anchors are critical to managing stresses in CWR.  If they were for ties, they'd be around every tie.

Date: 10/29/16 20:49

MP555 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cornerfieldhobby Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I kind of figured that's the
> > purpose to keep the ties from moving.
>
> As already mentioned, rail anchors are critical to
> managing stresses in CWR.  If they were for ties,
> they'd be around every tie.

MP555, sorry if I said about the tie and anchor wrong. I made a mistake. Now when I look that image that was priovided, now I know what there for  http://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Me17d8f2dc1ff5432b004facb2dc3b011o0&pid=15.1    Out of curiosity, what year did they start the anchors as I recall with welded rail, there were no anchors.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds