Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rathole Question

Date: 12/02/16 09:19
Rathole Question
Author: mully

Hi all

Looking at planning a trip out on the Rathole, only been there once so can anyone tell me traffic levels and remind me of some good locations?   What are best times of the week?

Thanks for any help
Gary

Date: 12/02/16 10:12
Re: Rathole Question
Author: wheelnrail

Erlanger hill between the Ohio River and Erlanger, KY is pretty good. Three high trestles, semi steady traffic levels and a helper pool make it a good area to rail fan. There's suppose to be a rail fan overlook to be completed in Ludlow in the "Spring of 2017". We'll see if it actually is completed by then.

Kings mountain, KY is good, especially for SBs. More geared towards videographers because trains heading south will struggle up a grade.

Burnside to basically Chattanooga are a good bet. The high bridges south of Burnside are fantastic, unless you have vertigo.

Don't know about traffic levels, but my last visit to burnside ein July netted me 15 trains in 12 hours.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/03/16 08:29
Author: Seventyfive

Check out the Highway 27 bridge over the Cumberland River at Burnside.  When I last visited too many years ago,
a turnout on the north side had a great view of the NS bridge just to the east.  The Google Earth shot even shows
an NS crossing the bridge.  Also note the "Old Lake Cumberland Railroad Tunnel" on the Google map west of the bridges;
I wasn't aware of it back then, but might be worth visiting.

Date: 12/03/16 20:14
Author: P

Get a Delorme map of Kentucky. There are many good spots and this map will help you get to them. That's what I did on my first visit to the area.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds