Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Going to Nashville

Date: 12/04/16 19:53
Going to Nashville
Author: CLM

My wife and I are planning a trip back east, probably in late May.  Anyway, one of our stops is going to be Nashville.  We are going to try to make time to visit the Tennessee Central Railway Museum.  But I was wondering, are there other railroad related sites that we should try to visit while there?

Date: 12/04/16 20:29
Re: Going to Nashville
Author: RuleG

The current (January 2017) issue of Trains has a too short article about Nashville.  A place called "The Gulch" is highlighted as a location for watching trains and the former Nashville Union Station, now a hotel, is mentioned as a must-see attraction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 04:12 by RuleG.

Date: 12/05/16 14:07
Author: gmojim

The Gulch and Union Station are actually the same area, also called Kayne Ave.
​If you want to see train volume, the area around Amqui on the north side of Nashville where the two lines for Chicago and Louisville split is the best location.
​Was there a month ago and the morning volume is very good. Amqui is along side I-65 and just south of Rivergate Mall.

​gmojim

Date: 12/05/16 23:04
Author: arrow611

TRAINS somehow left out the commuter train Nashville Star.

Date: 12/06/16 19:39
Author: RuleG

arrow611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TRAINS somehow left out the commuter train
> Nashville Star.

Good point.

As I said in my post, the article is too short and other worthwhile attractions were left out, too.

At one time, Trains Magazine published detailed guides to railroads in metro areas such as Cincinnati, Portland OR and Minneapolis/St. Paul.  Wish Trains would revive that useful series.  With next year's NRHS Convention being held there, Nashville deserves more attention than the what was provided in the article.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds