Home Open Account Help 402 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pair of Pennsy Keystones

Date: 12/05/16 04:04
Pair of Pennsy Keystones
Author: SDP40F600

This past Saturday my friend Adam and I headed for Pittsburgh for a morning of railfanning Norfolk Southern in the steel city. An online report indicated that the Pennsylvania Railroad heritage unit was headed west with a load of sea cans. That turned out to be stack train 21Q. We headed for California Avenue in Pittsburgh to get a locomotive paying tribute to the PRR on a structure that was built by the PRR, the Ohio Connecting Bridge that today carries the Mon Line of Norfolk Southern. When I think of railroads in Pittsburgh, structures such as this come to mind. Photos 1 and 2 show the 21Q on the OC bridge.

We were able to get ahead of the train and next caught it at CP Leets in Leetsdale. Although I had my scanner on, we didn't get any warning of the train approaching because I didn't pick it up calling any signals. Our "heads up" was when another railfan bolted from his car and started running toward the bridge over the tracks that leads to an industrial park. Photo 3 shows NS 8102 passing the Pennsy-style position signals that still stand here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 04:11 by SDP40F600.

Date: 12/05/16 04:10
Re: Pair of Pennsy Keystones
Author: SDP40F600

We weren't sure if we could beat the 21Q to East Conway because it was moving along at a good clip. But it turned out that the stacker would have a long wait there because of traffic working in Conway Yard that needed to come out to East Conway for head room as well as the need to change crews.

Photo 4: The 21Q has a new crew and is on the move at East Conway. 

Photo 5: A roster-type shot of NS 8102 at East Conway.

Our last photo op of the 21Q was planned for the bridge over the Beaver River at Beaver Falls. But things did not go according to plan because Adam, who was driving, could not find a parking spot in a timely manner. He dropped me off at the east end of the sidewalk of the bridge and I walked as fast as I could toward the river. I wouldn't make it. The 21Q had already called the signal at the Brighton and I could see its headlight illuminating the sides of the containers of an eastbound stack train that was slowly making its way toward Conway.

I noticed that the bridge had an old, but faded Pennsylvania Railroad keystone and decided to make that the focal point of my last photograph of NS 8102. So I end the chase of the 21Q with an image of a pair of Pennsy keystones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 04:13 by SDP40F600.

Date: 12/05/16 04:14
Author: bigkidpgh

nice chase. last pic is a keeper for sure!

Date: 12/05/16 05:07
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice series. Yes I agree with bigkidpgh about your last photo. The keystone on the nose is aligned with the keystone on the side of the bridge. Great timing.
John

Date: 12/05/16 06:54
Author: jcrun0mp7

VIVA PENNSY!!!

Date: 12/05/16 13:20
Author: PRR-diesel

Sweet!!! I also strongly like the last photo. ron

Date: 12/05/16 14:23
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice shots, two and six, wow.
JB

Date: 12/05/16 17:33
Author: RuleG

Very nice series of photos and great catch with your last photo.

Date: 12/05/16 18:40
Author: BruceStikkers

I was also in Pittsburgh visiting our granddaughter who is a Pitt student. I had a little time and got some pictures at Homestead of the same train. I had just arrived at the site and had not found the best spot and settings to use for the train before it showed up. Also enjoyed lunch at Station Square at the Grand Concourse restaurant in the old P&LE station.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 12/19/16 19:07
Author: jim6300loco

Outstanding pictures! Thanks for posting them. Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds