Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question on Pittsburgh photo

Date: 12/05/16 18:52
Question on Pittsburgh photo
Author: BruceStikkers

I visited by granddaughter who is attending Pitt last week and we wnet to Station Square for a great lunch at Station Square in the Grand Concourse restaurant located in the old P&LE station. This car is on display, but I couldn't quite figure out if is supposed to be a passenger car or fancy caboose. If it was out west I would say drovers caboose, but I'm not sure how many of those were in the east. Any help on its history would be appreciated. I used info posted last week by PittsburghMike and others to find the best places to go the best places to watch trains in the limited train time I had. I appreciate the help on this forum that is continually posted.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 12/05/16 19:01
Re: Question on Pittsburgh photo
Author: DJ-12

Glad you had fun! It is indeed a drover's caboose. IIRC it was originally a PLE but was sold to the MGA.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/05/16 19:04
Author: RuleG

Your photo shows a plaque at the left end of the caboose.  Didn't that have any information on it?

Date: 12/05/16 19:22
Author: BruceStikkers

I did not notice the plaque when I took the picture, so I don't know what it said. Thanks for the information on the caboose.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Date: 12/06/16 10:56
Author: RFandPFan

Since I had never heard the term, I looked it up for others here...

The drovers caboose was where the stockmen rode. The caboose would have seats/bunks for them. The stockmen took care of the animals during the trip at rest stops.

Date: 12/06/16 19:41
Author: RuleG

BruceStikkers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did not notice the plaque when I took the
> picture, so I don't know what it said. Thanks for
> the information on the caboose.
>
> Bruce Stikkers
> St. Joseph, IL

Next time I'm at Station Square, I will take a look at the plaque.  If there is useful information, I'll share it here.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds