Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Revised Christmas Holiday ops plans

Date: 12/22/16 02:45
NS Revised Christmas Holiday ops plans
Author: JPB

Looks like NS took to heart all of the Trainorders discussion of 12/13/16 wrt the original NS plan to stop operations from Saturday 12/24 3pm through Tuesday 12/27 7AM. Of course, NS said the change to Monday's ops was due to weather - right!   ;-) 

Saturday, December 24th: NS road, local and yard operations will cease at 3:00pm. NS will not accept interchange trains after 7:00am.
Sunday, December 25th: Interchange, road, local and yard operations idled.
Monday, December 26th: Limited road and interchange operations. Yard and local operations remain idled.
Tuesday, December 27th: Normal operation schedules resume at 7:00am.

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/service-alerts/revised-2016-christmasandnewyearsholidayschedule.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/16 05:41 by JPB.

Date: 12/22/16 05:22
Re: NS Revised Christmas Holiday ops plans
Author: jallenp7

I remember as a dispatcher for the I&O the management thought it would be a good ideal to run trains on a holiday, may have been 4th of July, the problem is we could not get out of McCullough because NS was shut down, they dispatched the Oasis Sub at the time, maybe somebody should have checked with them first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/16 05:46 by jallenp7.

Date: 12/22/16 06:41
Author: farmer

CSX plans for holiday. Shut down at 15:00 on 12-24 and resume again on 12-26 at 07:00.
Some key intermodal trains will run through the holiday. Along with the ammonia train in the I-64 corridor.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/16 06:44
Author: Lackawanna484

There may also be major shippers on both major rail lines which hadn't finalized their plans, when they need a pick or drop, etc?

Date: 12/22/16 08:13

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There may also be major shippers on both major
> rail lines which hadn't finalized their plans,
> when they need a pick or drop,
etc?

Unless it was UPS. I am sure neither railroad cares when they want switched over the holiday.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/16 08:21
Author: Lackawanna484

farmer Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There may also be major shippers on both major
> > rail lines which hadn't finalized their plans,
> > when they need a pick or drop,
> etc?
>
> Unless it was UPS. I am sure neither railroad
> cares when they want switched over the holiday.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Or a big power company, etc.

That's one of the problems with the concentration of power following so many rail mergers.  "Take it or leave it" has replaced marketing and service in some segments

Date: 12/22/16 08:58
Author: toledopatch

Some steel mills need regular switches 365 days a year because their production is continuous, too.

Unlike other holidays, I doubt UPS is especially demanding about keeping things moving during Christmas, given that if the package isn't delivered by then, it's not going to make it to Santa's sack of goodies by arriving on the 27th. I'm not sure, in that regard, whether Kwanzaa-related gift giving is so time-sensitive.

Date: 12/22/16 16:47

UPS considers its peak season for the Christmas Holiday to end on January 9 2017.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/22/16 17:38
Author: toledopatch

farmer Wrote:
> UPS considers its peak season for the Christmas
> Holiday to end on January 9 2017.
>

Probably because of all the returns they handle during the first few weeks after Christmas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds