Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pacing Norfolk Southern Freights September 2012

Date: 01/06/17 22:11
Pacing Norfolk Southern Freights September 2012
Author: wabash2800

It's amatuer and taken on a cloudy day, sometimes in the rain, but perhaps you will enjoy the speed and the power of these two NS freight trains along the former Wabash Detroit-St. Louis mainline between Delphi and Rockfield, Indiana. My retired railroader friend, Larry Lett, filmed the footage and I drove. I apoligize about him sometimes appearing in the side mirror! <G>

The first train is powered by an EMD SD60 and a GE ES44DC and the second by a pair of EMD GP60s. We did this safely as there was not much traffic around and the trains were moving at a good speed along the highway. It goes to show you that pacing can be fun with diesels too.

This is Trainorder "Jet's" territory in which he provides many great photos.

In the 1950s the Wabash had two pairs of passenger trains that passed through here, including the Wabash Cannon Ball. I would have loved to have filmed and paced those trains powered by E8s, PAs or GP9s. They really flew through here.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/17 22:59 by wabash2800.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/06/17 22:59
Re: Pacing Norfolk Southern Freights September 2012
Author: Out_Of_Service

excellent video ... pace vids are my favorite .,. one bit of advice ... tuck your mirror in or zoom in enough to keep the focus just on the train ... my eyes were distracted by the video camera in the mirror ...

Date: 01/07/17 05:59
Author: Thoroughbred-Ed

Very Nice !  Those GP-60's are one of my favorites.  
Remember when they were new 1991.  Three of them were always
on  Intermodal  NS 233 - 234  -  Norfolk, Va.  -  Bellevue, Oh  -  Chicago, Ill.   -  
Miss working for Norfolk Southern, but retirement is enjoying.

Eddie Durnwald
Fostoria, Ohio   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 06:01 by Thoroughbred-Ed.

Date: 01/07/17 07:21
Author: bluesboyst

Nice...Pasing throuhg the heartland......Would love to have seen the Wabash Cannoball screaming in the area....

Date: 01/07/17 15:40
Author: wabash2800

If you go to the tube and search under Larry Lett 765, you can find some pacing of the 765 Larry did btw Lagro and Attica and Fort Wayne and Elkhart.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/17 15:40 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds