Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snow Squalled

Date: 01/08/17 17:00
Snow Squalled
Author: TrainCatcher

Saturday, January 6th was a cold blustery day in NE Indiana with weather forecasts of lake effect snows moving in.  I could see the cloud line to the north and west as I departed the house early morning and decided to head east away from the oncoming sunblockage.  I ended up shooting a train on the NS Chicago line near Butler, then dropping south 3 miles for a stop at the SDI facility as the front continued its SSE progression and finally heading south another 4 miles to the CSX Chicago line for a final shot as the slow moving cloud cover engulfed St. Joe.  On the drive home it began snowing  The precipitation laden mass made for a good backdrop it just didn't last long enough..

Eastbound NS 36G with NS' 2804 and 6784 handle a mixed freight at milepost 361 near Butler, Indiana at 0948.

NS New Haven to Butler local, L9V, working at the SDI facility with a pair of SD40-2's at 1100.  You can see the conductor on the rear car with the temperature in mid-teens.

Eastbound CSX hot intermodal train L010-06 at EE SDI at 1139 with only several minutes of sun left for the day.

FDF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 17:02 by TrainCatcher.

Date: 01/08/17 19:50
Re: Snow Squalled
Author: exopr

Nothern Indiana isn't the most scenic but you always make good use of the available landscape and compose some great pics.    Thanks for sharing!  

Date: 01/09/17 07:37
Author: kevink

Classic lake effect snow pictures. I got caught in one of those squalls Friday morning near La Porte, IN. It went from bright sunshine to heavy clouds and blowing snow in the space of 5 miles. I-94 went from dry pavement to snow covered with black ice very quickly. Fortunately, I was ready for it and managed to reach my destination without trouble.

Date: 01/09/17 15:04
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 01/10/17 06:01
Author: rrartist

Nice to see you are getting out and about Sir - I was beginning to wonder... Rain and ice and a large painting are keeping me indoors today!

Date: 01/10/17 15:53
Author: TrainCatcher

rrartist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice to see you are getting out and about Sir - I
> was beginning to wonder... Rain and ice and a
> large painting are keeping me indoors today!

Weather here hasn't provided much sun in December and now January.  I tend to only get interested when good light is available.

Thanks for the kind comments about the shots.

FDF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.561 seconds