Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wrong Main

Date: 01/18/17 14:13
Wrong Main
Author: mp208

New orange track # labels on the crossing at Mance, PA.  Could this be the result of a hy-rail vehicle having set on the wrong main?  I've seen it happen elsewhere. 

Date: 01/18/17 14:22
Re: Wrong Main
Author: SpeederDriver

Setting a hyrail on the wrong main cound have DIRE consequences!!!

Date: 01/18/17 14:39
Author: ns2557

Kinda reminds me of the RR's now putting "white stripes" on the rails or small cones btwn the rails, to denote fouling points on tracks.  Ben.

Date: 01/18/17 15:06
Author: DivergingClear

In the West it is common to see this, especially on UP.  Here is an example from Carr, Colorado.  A road crossing is just out of frame at left.  A little extra confirmation that you're setting onto the track you think you are is not a bad idea!

Date: 01/18/17 15:22
Author: NKP715

Very common on CSX thru Erie PA area.  They also
add an "E" or "W" for direction.

Date: 01/18/17 15:41
Author: imrl

A track inspector or signal maintainer working on the same territory day in and day out knows exactly what each tracks designation is. Where this comes in very handy is when traveling gangs travel to different territories for work projects, these paint markers can save lives.  

Date: 01/18/17 15:44
Author: ns2557

Just a curious question. I realize that now a days everything helps in regards to "knowing" where one is at, but has it come to this? What ever happened to "Knowing the RR where one worked at". Isn't this the kind of thing that would come with "qualifying on the RR for the area where one worked". If things were this easy years ago, it makes me wonder what would happen to a crew member who  went looking for the new "signs" that were not there.  Just a thought.  Ben

Date: 01/18/17 17:40
Author: halfmoonharold

Hope it don't snow...

Date: 01/18/17 17:58
Author: TAW

ns2557 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a curious question. I realize that now a days
> everything helps in regards to "knowing" where one
> is at, but has it come to this? What ever happened
> to "Knowing the RR where one worked at". Isn't
> this the kind of thing that would come with
> "qualifying on the RR for the area where one
> worked". If things were this easy years ago, it
> makes me wonder what would happen to a crew member
> who  went looking for the new "signs" that were
> not there.  Just a thought.  Ben

Long ago, BN decided that track was track was track and abolished MofW positions and seniority districts. There were guys who spent their entire career in CTC in Idaho showing up in my train order territory in Washington without a clue of where they were or how to use a lineup. There were gandys that set on the wrong trck, gandys who were on the right track at the wrong station, etc.

If management insists on making people work in a place that they are not qualified to work, the least they can do is put signs on things.

TAW

Date: 01/18/17 18:22
Author: mp208

In the early 80's the Maine Central MOW operated on line ups only. They ate up a motor car a year. The men would safely jump, the motor car became missing.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/17 18:42
Author: VFPNSFAN

What is a lineup?

Date: 01/18/17 20:17
Author: wa4umr

I think this is a bit more typical.  This is on the CSX main south of Louisville, mile 29 at Lebanon Junction.  The Lebanon Branch goes about a mile and then become the KRM, Kentucky Railway Museum and continues another 15-20 miles.  

John

Date: 01/19/17 00:12
Author: SP4360

Exact reason why these are marked all over the country, Complacency kills.
imrl Wrote:
> A track inspector or signal maintainer working on
> the same territory day in and day out knows
> exactly what each tracks designation is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 00:13 by SP4360.

Date: 01/19/17 05:24
Author: NKP715

It is ("was" if still used) a status report as of a given time as
to all traffic on the railroad.

I recall on the NKP there were several established times during the day
​when the DS would provide this info - - what train, and location, plus additional
​info when needed..  MofW people get this info to determine when
and where they could work.  In the pre scanner days, it was great info
​for railfans - - wayside phone booths were rarely locked.

Of course, that was back in the day when you could also go to a tower
​and get info - - most employees were friendly and would help out.

VFPNSFAN Wrote:
> What is a lineup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/17 05:28 by NKP715.

Date: 01/19/17 05:50
Author: goneon66

one time my foreman had me ride with 2 welders that were working our area (either with the steel gang or chasing the "d" car).  as we "hi-railed" to our work location, we started talking.  both welders were appreciative at having somebody familiar with the territory/control points ride with them.  in fact, i remember one of the welders saying, "they just throw us to the wolves" as far as working in unfamiliar territories..........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds