Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Long way from the High Iron of the SP

Date: 01/18/17 14:35
Long way from the High Iron of the SP
Author: ns2557

Yesterday I made my delivery to the Jewell/Osco DC in Melrose Park Il. Having been here a few times prior over the last 2 years or so, I sorta knew what to expect as far as RR's go. What I did not expect was to actually see and get an opportunity to get some shots of a train working the local industries in the area. Coming into the DC off of Ill 64/North Rd and turning at 15th Ave in Melrose Park, I headed down the street. Knowing that the IHB yard at Norpaul was off the back side of the facility here, just thought it would be another trip in and out. Well, after making the slight "jog" on 15th and heading for Armitage St I saw a Covered Hopper blocking half the street ahead. Thought to myself OK perhaps I might atually get a chance to get something here. Well, the crew shoved east of the road crossing with 3 cars, set one out and then backed up to clear a switch, then they proceeded to shove back around a curve to an unknown customer. Thinking they would come back out in a relative short time, I stopped on Armitage to wait. After about 5 minutes, they showed back up, coupled onto the now 1 car and proceeded back twds NorPaul. Never thought I would catch one here, but here is IHB GP40-2 4014 seen in shot 1 backing up to get the 1 car. Then proceeding twds the camera and back to the yard. This is what I believe is known as the "Jewell Lead" in this area.  Nice to see something working. This used to be a common everyday scene along most RR's in the US. It is fast disappearing in my eye's at least.  The other item in regards to this is the power on the train. This kind of trackage was at one time relegated to the End Cab era of locomotives, you know, NW/SW type units.  Here ya have a demoted "Main Line" high speed unit doing the work today. This is ex SP 7616. Long way from the High Iron across the Arizona Deserts to the back streets of the Chicago area. But it still works as intended, that is moving the freight.  Both shots yesterday 17 Januray 2017 in Melrose Park Il.  Thanks for looking.  Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/17 14:36 by ns2557.

Date: 01/18/17 20:06
Re: Long way from the High Iron of the SP
Author: espeefan

They've got another ex-SP GP40-2 as well.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/19/17 05:03
Author: Gonut1

Ben,
Another in your long series of interesting posts!
Thanks
Gonut

Date: 01/19/17 18:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice catch out there on the road.
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds