Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Long Island City LIRR Diesel Power

Date: 02/17/17 14:11
Long Island City LIRR Diesel Power
Author: erielackawanna

Here's the last of my whirlwind Queens tour Friday, Feb 3, with Dennis Livesey (burned a lot of frames in a small amount of time). When we lost the sun completely we headed over to Long Island City which is really just an AM location when the sun is out. 

Image one is a rescue (I assume) MP15AC on the beginning of the Lower Montauk Branch (Is this right? Feel free to correct me.) Also, what is the name of the tiny branch from the terminal to the main line? Or does it not even have one?

Image two is a front shot of the same unit. Man, I remember these things being delivered 41 years ago.

Image three is an unidentified outbound train between the LIC and Hunters Point platforms. Anyone know what all these trains not on the timbetable were? There was even an MU that went into the yard while I was there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/17 14:17 by erielackawanna.

Date: 02/17/17 14:13
Re: Long Island City LIRR Diesel Power

Image four is of the entire terminal area. I assume just those platforms on the far right are for passenger loading?

Image five is the LIRR 558 to Oyster Bay.

Image six is the LIRR 2712 to Montauk.

Date: 02/17/17 14:14

Image seven is still the LIRR 2172, now wide angle under the pedestrian bridge that itself goes under the Long Island Expressway.

Image eight is my last shot of the trip, LIRR 560 to Oyster Bay at Jamaica (some motion blur, but I like the shot with all the commuters awaiting the train on the platform).

Thanks for looking and now back to the west coast for me.

Date: 02/18/17 06:49
Author: Tominde

They look very European.   Nice pics.  Seems the only time we see Long Island is when there is something bad happened. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds