Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NYSW Utica Branch

Date: 02/23/17 06:22
NYSW Utica Branch
Author: NYSWSD70M

Did they ever complete the line rebuild?  Are any trains running?

Date: 02/23/17 08:35
Re: NYSW Utica Branch
Author: pal77

Not to my knowledge, inquired last fall when they were stock piling supplies for the restoration.  Was told "work to begin this spring and be done next year"  seems long.  I have also read that expected late this year.  As you likely know with this road believe it when I see it. 

Date: 02/23/17 10:06
Author: JPB

NYSWSD70M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did they ever complete the line rebuild?  Are any
> trains running?

I believe the rebuild of the line is complete as of end of 2016. But there are no trains running and apparently NYSW management has little to no interest in running trains over the repaired tracks since no customers were impacted by the track wash outs. More importantly, NYSW apparently believes its arrangement where CSX brings traffic to NYSW at Utica for its local customers concentrated around Utica is satisfactory and cost effective. Word is that very little of this existing Utica customer traffic might be shipped via the repaired line to/from Binghamton given the current arrangement with CSX.

Check out the page numbered 50 at this URL to an artice in "Progress Chenago" entitled "A lively year for Commerce Chenango positions them at-the-ready for 2017". Excerpt from the article:
"...A particular highlight of the headway made in 2016 by Commerce Chenango was the repair of long-standing damage to the NYS&W Utica branch rail line. In conjunction with sister company Chenango County Industrial Development Agency (IDA), developmental partner Development Chenango Corporation, Chenango County, the New York State DOT, and the U.S. Commerce Department's Economic Development Administration, Commerce Chenango was able to hire Frontier Railroad Services to restore serviceability to 45 miles of railroad track between Earlville and Chenango Forks. In order to restore the track, several dozen washouts that occurred during the floods of 2006 in 2011 had to be repaired, as well as replacing hundreds of rail ties, re-decking of bridges, and the installation of new, robust drainage structures that are specifically designed to protect the roadbed and rails from future potential flood damage. “The challenge moving forward is to use the availability of freight rail transport as a business attractor,” said Craig. “We have been contacted by several companies eager to ship bulk resources on the Utica branch of NYS&W. We have joined the statewide rail association, and plan to partner with that line and Norfolk Southern [to devise] a marketing strategy..."

So the net appears to be, if new customers/business don't come on-line, the rebuilt track will lay unused.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 05:03 by JPB.

Date: 02/23/17 11:05
Author: cjvrr

My understanding is that the crossing signals still need to be reactivated and put in operation.

As to the arrangement with CSX I would think if NYS&W gets a better shipping rate from NS at the southern end of the Utica Branch, things may change.

Date: 02/23/17 20:34
Author: ctjacks

Your New York tax dollars at work.  I wonder what the total $$$ New York State has spent on the NYS&W over the past 30 years.  I'm still waiting to see any benefits to the on-line towns north of Binghampton.  Lots of promises from NYS&W over that time - passenger service over this branch, for example, but nothing to show for it.  And not a single train in a decade.

These state-owned railroads in New York, Ohio, and Michigan have drained millions of $$$ from the states since the Conrail days, for miniscule benefit I can see - except to the owners, who get to live like kings.

Chris

Date: 02/24/17 04:34
Author: Lackawanna484

NY State is extremely aware of the collapsing Upstate economy. Governor Cuomo mentions it regularly, Chuck Schumer sends grants.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/24/17 06:45
Author: aehouse

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> NY State is extremely aware of the collapsing
> Upstate economy. Governor Cuomo mentions it
> regularly, Chuck Schumer sends grants.
>
> Posted from Android

Too bad NYS Greek Yogurt doesn't ship by rail.

Art House

Date: 02/24/17 08:37
Author: march_hare

Well, there's always frac sand.   Errr, uhh, OK never mind.

Date: 02/24/17 09:59
Author: NYSWSD70M

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> NY State is extremely aware of the collapsing
> Upstate economy. Governor Cuomo mentions it
> regularly, Chuck Schumer sends grants.
>
> Posted from Android

Yeah they talk about it but when it becomes time to help, they seem to be busy!

Date: 02/24/17 11:44
Author: JPB

march_hare Wrote:
> Well, there's always frac sand.   Errr, uhh, OK
> never mind.

Actually NYSW does a very brisk frac sand transload business at Liberty St yard in Binghamton. Unit frac sand trains come in via NS for NYSW to unload for truck delivery to NE Pennsylvania. Maybe Utica branch would see some transload business if NYS allowed frac drilling for gas.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/17 11:47 by JPB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds