Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dolton Jct cutover

Date: 02/24/17 19:37
Dolton Jct cutover
Author: calumet

This weekend, control of busy Dolton Jct interlocking (directly south of Chicago in the suburb of Dolton) will be remoted to the Indiana Harbor Belt east dispatcher.  Work has been ongoing there for the last three or four weeks.  I'm told PTC equipment has also been installed but won't be activated right away.

When all the testing is finished and any kinks have been worked out, the tower will be shut down.  It will probably be demolished some time next month.  The tower had 172 levers and was built and staffed by the Pennsy.  Control passed to Penn Central and later to Conrail.  In 1996, several years after the Panhandle main was removed, control passed to IHB. 

Only a few active towers remain in the Chicago area.  They're living on borrowed time. 

Date: 02/24/17 21:29
Re: Dolton Jct cutover
Author: chessie5882

I remember getting a tour of this tower in the late 1980s. So many levers. Sad to see it go.

Date: 02/24/17 22:06
Author: TAW

calumet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> When all the testing is finished and any kinks
> have been worked out, the tower will be shut
> down.  It will probably be demolished some time
> next month. 

So sad. It is the largest S&F interlocking machine constructed in the US. State Line was the largest mechanical machine constructed in the US (National Style A). People will move heaven and earth for a steam engine or even a first generation diesel, but a truly important mechanical interlocking? Just another tower.

TAW

Date: 02/25/17 03:31
Author: WLE2679

Thanks to Ralph and his trainee for inviting my dad and I in the tower in the late 90's, early 2000s.  

Date: 02/25/17 03:32
Author: junctiontower

As I mentioned before, I would LOVE to see the tower moved over by Mt. Dolton and opened as a viewing platform.  Chances of happening?  Slim.

Date: 02/25/17 06:30
Author: gbmott

TAW Wrote:
> calumet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > When all the testing is finished and any kinks
> > have been worked out, the tower will be shut
> > down.  It will probably be demolished some
> time
> > next month. 
>
> So sad. It is the largest S&F interlocking machine
> constructed in the US. State Line was the largest
> mechanical machine constructed in the US (National
> Style A). People will move heaven and earth for a
> steam engine or even a first generation diesel,
> but a truly important mechanical interlocking?
> Just another tower.
>
> TAW

You are so right Tom -- we are going to wake up some morning in the not-too-distant future and realize that the last mechanical plant is gone.  The Brits do a great job on their preserved railways of maintaining traditional methods of signalling.  "Signal boxes" retired from the active network are often relocated to preserved railways.  Not only is the building preserved but the interlocking mechanisms are adapted and reused along with the associated signaling.  I wish someone here would do likewise.

Gordon  

Date: 02/25/17 06:39
Author: Fred

What happens to the 4 or so operators when it closes ????

Date: 02/25/17 07:23
Author: WLE2679

That would be nice.    Wish the surrounding neighborhood was a little better, although felt safe at the diamond area and police station was right there. 

junctiontower Wrote:
> As I mentioned before, I would LOVE to see the
> tower moved over by Mt. Dolton and opened as a
> viewing platform.  Chances of happening?  Slim.

Date: 02/25/17 12:04
Author: Seventyfive

Ralph E. showed me blueprints for the upgrades and automation in 1999, and back then we were afraid
Dolton Tower would be gone in a year or two.  So we were lucky to have an extra 17 years to enjoy the tower.  
Sadly, the new Trains magazine Chicago special edition makes no mention of the tower on the Dolton page.

Dolton Tower is really a national railroading landmark and should be treated as such and preserved accordingly.

Thanks for this update about Dolton; I have been wondering what's new in that part of the area.

Updates as things occur will be much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/17 15:41 by Seventyfive.

Date: 02/25/17 15:24
Author: calumet

TAW Wrote:
>
> So sad. It is the largest S&F interlocking machine
> constructed in the US. State Line was the largest
> mechanical machine constructed in the US (National
> Style A). People will move heaven and earth for a
> steam engine or even a first generation diesel,
> but a truly important mechanical interlocking?
> Just another tower.

You've said this before, and it's just not true.  In Illinois and Indiana alone:

Spaulding Tower has been preserved and is operational at the Illinois Railwy Museum.

Grasselli Tower moved to the Hoosier Valley Rail Museum where it's being restored to operating condition (switches and a signal mast).

The Wabash Valley Rail Museum in Terre Haute has two towers on the property, Haley and Spring Hill, the latter moved about five miles to the museum site.. While not operational, the levers and beds are still there.

An exact replica of an IC tower has been built at the Monticello Rail Museum; interlocking machine in place.

Attempts to preserve Hohman Ave tower were not successful, but a serious effort was made.  In the end, logistical problems made a move too expensive.

Date: 02/25/17 18:23
Author: farmer

Fred Wrote:
> What happens to the 4 or so operators when it
> closes ????

Hopefully if there not retirement age they can exercise seniority to location near.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/25/17 23:57
Author: TAW

calumet Wrote:
> TAW Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > So sad. It is the largest S&F interlocking
> machine
> > constructed in the US. State Line was the
> largest
> > mechanical machine constructed in the US
> (National
> > Style A). People will move heaven and earth for
> a
> > steam engine or even a first generation diesel,
> > but a truly important mechanical interlocking?
> > Just another tower.
>
> You've said this before, and it's just not true. 
> In Illinois and Indiana alone:

I'm referring to specifically significant interlocking machines. Yes, I know of many preserved or sort of preserved towers, and I'm glad that some have been. Dolton and State Line were something different altogether.

TAW

Date: 02/26/17 14:56
Author: justalurker66

If you can find a place to preseve it more power to you.

There is a difference between restoring and maintaining a steam engine that can be stored off line and only interfere with operations a few times a year and maintaining an interlocking with daily traffic.Take the tower offline and maintain it somewhere ... that is a great idea. But where? Some museum that already has a tower? And even if you found a place to preserve it how many people would get to see it? Steam engines visiting different parts of the country can be seen by people all over the country. A preseved tower is stationary.

Every museum should have a tower ... or more if their budget allows. But finding the where is a challenge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3943 seconds