Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Circus train

Date: 03/19/17 10:16
Circus train
Author: robbie

Sad day tomorrow...the last time the RBBB circus train will ever be in Ohio.  According to a recent map in Trains magazine, the Cincinnati to Norfolk movement will be via Dayton, Columbus and Portsmouth.  For those of us in Columbus any updates on the progress of the train out of Cincy or through Dayton would certaibly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Date: 03/19/17 11:15
Re: Circus train
Author: K8CNW

The route you mentioned is correct. The current estimate is for an 8AM departure from Undercliff Yard in Cincinnati. This is just a best guess assuming all of the loading goes smoothly. I know several fans will be out chasing tomorrow so I expect you'll see updates on FB, Heritageunits, and possibly here on TO. Also, I was lucky to catch the Indiana & Ohio doubling up the passenger cars yesterday in Undercliff Yard. HLCX 7014 in former BN colors had the honors.

1) HLCX 7014 running light from McCullough Yard in Norwood to the south (railroad east) end of the yard. The passenger cars can be seeing sitting on two of the yard tracks in Undercliff Yard. 
2) Pulling half the cars across Airport road at Cliff (note the Conrail era sign on the elevated signal box). 
3) Shoving the passenger cars through Columbia Tusculum and back into the yard after doubling up.  

-Brian

Date: 03/19/17 12:01
Author: lee45174

Its a shame that they can't take the more direct route to Portsmouth over the Peavine!!!!

Date: 03/19/17 14:36
Author: dbrcnw

Thanks to all for the continuing information. My hope is to catch it in the Columbus area and perhaps south of there. Unfortunately I'm two hours from Columbus so a Cincinnati departure time would be of great assistance. It would be most effective when they leave the I&O which I assume will be Sharonville.

DaleR

Date: 03/19/17 17:18
Author: tq-07fan

From looking at some other threads it looks like all the N & W CPL signals are gone between Prichard and Williamson now, is this correct? I know everything from Prichard west to Columbus and beyond has been replaced as of last year or earlier.

Jim

Date: 03/19/17 19:56
Author: msullivan1993

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From looking at some other threads it looks like
> all the N & W CPL signals are gone between
> Prichard and Williamson now, is this correct? I
> know everything from Prichard west to Columbus and
> beyond has been replaced as of last year or
> earlier.
>
> Jim

Correct, the entire Kenova District is completely converted.  The nearest CPL's are in Sprigg, just north of Matewan on the Pocahontas District.  From there to Welch most CPL's signals should still be in service.

Date: 03/20/17 03:26
Author: tq-07fan

OK, thank you. That will determine where we will end our chase depending on now good a run they get. I would guess other people were wondering about the N & W signals as well.

The I & O Blue Ash Local is already blowing for Deer Park OH right now so I don't know if that is Circus Train related or just an unusually early start today for them?

Jim

Date: 03/20/17 04:37
Author: dbrcnw

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, thank you. That will determine where we will
> end our chase depending on now good a run they
> get. I would guess other people were wondering
> about the N & W signals as well.
>
> The I & O Blue Ash Local is already blowing for
> Deer Park OH right now so I don't know if that is
> Circus Train related or just an unusually early
> start today for them?
>
> Jim

Thanks for updates. I'll be leaving far eastern Ohio in a few minutes and will be trying to catch it south of Columbus.

DaleR

Date: 03/20/17 13:15
Author: robbie

Red unit cleared Hague Avenue in west Columbus at 3:15 p.m...CSX power.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds