Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Emmaus PA location needed

Date: 03/20/17 05:43
Emmaus PA location needed
Author: nydepot

This photo from ebay was labeled "Chapel Ridge toward Emmaus PA" on the Reading 1981. No other info. Any idea where this might be? Searches on Chapel Ridge lead to Bradford and Pittsburgh PA, well out of the way. Thanks.

Charles

Date: 03/20/17 05:57
Re: Emmaus PA location needed
Author: dschlegel

I don't think this bridge exists anymore. In the distance in your photo I believe is the Rt. 29 bridge.

This is (as I understand it) roughly behind Buckeye Pipeline's tank farm between Emmaus and Macungie.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 06:06 by dschlegel.

Date: 03/20/17 06:13
Author: Gonut1

It was from this bridge that I first saw that roofwalks were being removed from boxcars! Yes, it is near the Buckeye Pipeline facility looking towards Emmaus/Allentown. that is Rte 29 in the distance.
Gonut

Date: 03/20/17 06:20
Author: dschlegel

This is the stretch of track where the ill-fated 1985 ramble behind the 2102 broke down on the return to Reading from Jim Thorpe.

I was on board, and we sat here for many hours until CR sent a pair of GP's out to rescue us.

I missed school the next day as we didn't get back to Kutztown until ~4am.
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/17 06:21
Author: ALCO630

This is actually Macungie, PA. Chapel Ridge is what the Reading named it and it stuck through the years. The bridge you're standing on is Tank Farm Road. The bridge was taken out sometime in the late 90's.

Go on Goggle satellite and look for Macungie, Pa. About a mile east of there you will see Buckeye Tank Farm. Just past the tank farm you will see Tank Farm Road at where the road ends at the RR is where the bridge was.

Posted from Android

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 03/20/17 07:16
Author: nydepot

Thank you all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds