Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lewistown, PA street running

Date: 03/20/17 14:17
Lewistown, PA street running
Author: march_hare

A few years ago, I stumbled across a street running operation in Lewistown, PA that connected to the NS main near the Amtrak station.  It appeared to serve a single steel fabrication company.  Is this still going?  If so, any suggestions on when to catch it in operation?

Date: 03/20/17 14:20
Re: Lewistown, PA street running
Author: birdman

Do a search for a recent post including photos.  Still running.  Usually M, W, F out of Lewistown around 8:00-9:00 and back to Lewistown about an hour later. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/17 15:47 by birdman.

Date: 03/20/17 16:28
Author: reel_smooth

Should be Juniata Valley RR if you want to throw that into the search box.

Date: 03/20/17 17:22
Author: Lackawanna484

The mill itself has some interesting switching power. Visible from outside the property.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/21/17 05:28
Author: Gonut1

The Water Street street running actually exits onto private right of way for a short distance to a switch where there is another block of street running on Chesvut Street. This branch extends a few miles to a metal scrap dealer just beyond Maitland. I'm not too sure that this is rail served any longer. The main stem goes to Burnham where Standard Steel produces forged railroad wheels and axles. They receive scrap metal but I do not believe any loads leave by rail.
The in plant switchers are a pair of blue and white EMD SW's.
Gonut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 05:33 by Gonut1.

Date: 03/21/17 11:48
Author: pennsy3750

> This branch extends a
> few miles to a metal scrap dealer just beyond
> Maitland.
Been out of service for years AFAIK.

> The in plant switchers are a pair of blue and
> white EMD SW's.
They have been supplemented by at least one unit bought from the Juniata Valley RR, I believe it was once JVRR 2106.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds