Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Final Run of the Red Unit Circus Train in West Virginia

Date: 03/20/17 19:26
The Final Run of the Red Unit Circus Train in West Virginia
Author: msullivan1993

The Ringing Bros. and Barnum & Bailey's "Circus Xtreme" Red Unit makes it's final pass through the state of West Virginia enroute to Norfolk, Virginia for their next show. A fresh spring thunderstorm didn't keep a crowd away though, as hundreds upon thousands of people gathered along the Norfolk Southern Dayton District, Columbus District, and Kenova District to watch the Circus Train pass through town one final time. The Blue Unit, "Out Of This World" will arrive in Charleston in early May on their next to last stop, coming up the Pocahontas District, Guyandot River Branch, and across the Kanawha River Railroad for the final time, before departing for the final show in Uniondale, New York ending 146 years of "The Greatest Show On Earth" permanently.

Taken with a Canon EOS 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L lens with 4 Yongnuo YN660 flashes and Yongnuo YN560TX transmitter.

#1: Crossing the Ohio River Bridge in Kenova, West Virginia in the middle of the thunderstorm.

#2: Rounding the curve in Prichard, West Virginia on a Diverging Approach signal, rolling up on an Approach Diverging signal at Dean to go through the crossovers at Belcher.  The lights of the Prichard Intermodal Facility can be seen at left outlining the passenger cars rolling down the straightaway from the coaling tower.

Date: 03/20/17 20:06
Re: The Final Run of the Red Unit Circus Train in West Virginia
Author: mdogg

Very nice! I also have a 6D and 24-105 L lens. Very happy with mine, how about you?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/20/17 20:19

mdogg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice! I also have a 6D and 24-105 L lens.
> Very happy with mine, how about you?
>
> Posted from Android

I love mine.  I rented this setup over the summer to try out, and it was incredible as to the difference in quality.  After that I purchased a used lens and body on eBay... the lens must have a minor defect somewhere because it flares bad on long exposures, but other than that I'm really happy.  With the better sensor, I can use these little Speedlites and crank up the ISO to get the shot that I want.  Little more noise but rather spend $80 a flash versus $300-$600 for a much larger flash set up. 

Date: 03/20/17 20:31
Author: csxcophotographers

Was it snowing or raining in these pics?

Date: 03/20/17 21:20

csxcophotographers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was it snowing or raining in these pics?

Rain.. I wish it was snow, we did not see much this year.  It poured the rain about 10 minutes before the train arrived in Kenova.

Date: 03/21/17 05:22
Author: refarkas

Amazing night photos! Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 03/21/17 09:03
Author: tq-07fan

Out of curiosity about what time did it cross the big bridge across the Ohio river into Kenova? I had considered going all the way to there but heavy lightening in Waverly and diminishing daylight changed that possible plan. Plus Tudor's Biscuit World in Ceredo would have been closed down long before that.

I am glad someone got the shot of the train coming across the bridge, not only did you get the shot you got an awesome shot!

Jim

Date: 03/21/17 10:17
Author: dbrcnw

Nice bridge shot, reminds one of O Winston Link.

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds