Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > WV Pocahontas Division

Date: 03/26/17 13:01
WV Pocahontas Division
Author: P

Plan on spending a Saturday along the Pokey in a few weeks and was wondering what the current state of affairs are on the line.  It's been 20 years since I've been to the area, so .....

​Using Williamson as our starting point, we plan to head south from there.  A few specific questions:

​1.  What is traffic like on the line?  I'll be there on a Saturday
​2.  I've heard various reports on signals, i.e. CPL's.  What is the signal situation between Williamson and Bluefield?
​3.  Can you follow the line for the most part, between those 2 cities?  I have a DeLorme.  It looks questionable between a point called Cedar to Panther. 
​4.  What are the scenic 'must-do' photo locations? 

I'm open to any other input.  TIA

Date: 03/26/17 13:23
Re: WV Pocahontas Division
Author: KimHeusel

Others will have to help with train counts, signals, and such, but this might be of some help. It's a little out of date, but I think the info is still valid.

http://www.frograil.com/tours/ns/NSPokey.php

Kim Heusel

Date: 03/26/17 13:49
Re: WV Pocahontas Division
Author: IRP

I have done a good amount of shooting on this line between Welch and Bluefield. It's very chaseable on routes 52 and 102, especially if you have a heavy eastbound. There are at least six general freights per day, 188, 189, 194, 195, 17M, and 18M. There is also a good amount of intermodal/automotive traffic and coal trains are very common as well.

In terms of signals, most of the CPL's have been replaced, however the Landgraff bridge "might" still be in place along with a few other stragglers. You'll also want to check out Coopers Trestle along route 102 while you're there as well.

Nolan Majcher
Broadview Heights, OH
Nolan Majcher Photography

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 13:51 by IRP.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds