Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Last train, Clarksburg / Parkersburg and beyond

Date: 10/23/03 23:47
Last train, Clarksburg / Parkersburg and beyond
Author: WMF7A

Anyone know what train and date the very last through train ran on this line before being taken out of service and abandoned?

Date: 10/24/03 05:32
Re: Last train, Clarksburg / Parkersburg and beyond
Author: jallenp

I think through Ohio, I was a Hi-Wide special train between Chillicothe and Cincinnati.

Date: 10/24/03 05:34
Author: mgsrwy

July 31, 1985 was the last freight on the line. Not 100% sure but I believe it was one of the Trailer Jets. A passenger excursion from the railroad festival in Grafton ran in October of that year making it the last "through" train between Short Line Jct and Parkersburg.

RIP Parkersburg Branch

mgsrwy

Date: 10/24/03 05:53
Author: CivilEngineer

oh, UP is gonna re open that line, doncha know

rumor mill has that CSX would like to sell the mountain, cowen, bridgeport, short line, and fairmont subs.

just a rumor. not many of those on the rr

Date: 10/24/03 10:47
Author: OSUguy98

I've heard rumors about CSX reopening that line... of course, most if not all of the track has been removed... As I sit in my office, about 2 miles from where that line once headed toward Parkersburg, I wish that were the case..... but, I'd rather have CSX open it, rather than UP... (personal preference, lol).... From what I've heard from the owner of the hobby shop in Bridgeport, it's a long running rumor (the reopening) but nothing has happened as of yet.....

Date: 10/24/03 11:11
Author: MSchwiebert

Is the Clarksburg/Parkersburg portion of the Right of Way relatively intact? West of Parkersburg much of the right of way has been claimed to 4 lane US 50 east of Athens as well as Ohio U. in Athens itself.

Date: 10/24/03 11:58
Author: OSUguy98

Between Parkersburg and Clarksburg, to my knowledge most if not all is still there... You can see portions of it along US 50...... much is used as a rail trail (either officially or unofficially)... once it reaches Parkersburg, I'm not sure. The US 50 extention around downtown to a yet-to-be-built bridge just below Blennerhasset Island may have severed that connection... I'm not sure where the line ran into Parkersburg, but if it used the trackage of what is now the Little Kanawha Railway (or Kanawha Valley Railway, not sure on the name) then it it still there. The US 50 project (which I spent last summer working on) did not effect that line...

Date: 10/24/03 12:31
Brief Comment on Sale of Mountain Sub...
Author: rbx551985

This is just a brief comment on the sale of CSX's Moutain Sub, as mentioned in an above thread...

I've been working for a CSX sub-contractor for several months, and although there may have been some "official meetings" regarding such a sale in the future, CSX is only planning (at least they HOPE) on selling the portion of the Piedmont between AM Jct (downtown Richmond, just north of Main St. Station) to Doswell, for a future passenger rail by-pass of Acca Yard and the congested RF&P line between Acca and Doswell on that route. I'm told CSX would like to see all "run-thru" passenger trains use a re-built Piedmont (those that do not stop at Greendale, the current Richmond station, and Ashland would use that route).

That is the only Virginia rail route I know of that is officially being discussed at this time regarding sale by owner CSX to any perspective outside operator or owner.

The Mountain Sub? I've heard all the rumors, but have seen nothing concrete--YET. It's always possible, but let's not hold our breath for something that may be a few years yet down the road. Concentrate on what's up with what the state IS ACTUALLY STUDYING first, then speculate on the rest. Yes, I've seen the plans, and they would restore the Piedmont, on this route alone, to pre-CSX standards (C&O/Chessie ran passenger trains on this route at least at 70 mph in many spots, dispite the curves--I know, I was aboard many of those trips. Last several times was on the NRHS excursions Virginia used to have, thanks to Chessie System and Ross Rowland. We BLASTED east on the Piedmont to Richmond--and the smooth tracks made that the last concern on our minds! I'm looking foward to perhaps seeing that kind of service once again. Virginia is skeptical about this route as viable, but let's see what they come up with and what CSX does to woo Virginia to buying this portion of the line.

Date: 10/24/03 12:45
Author: csx6574

I caught an empty man eastbound from the power plant at Relief into Parkersburg earlier this year. He proceeded east past the CSX "High" yard office (there is a high and a low yard in town) to the end of what is now a long run-around. I think it was once the double track main into town from Clarksburg. He ran around the train so it could head north (rr east) on the Ohio River Sub towards Brooklyn Junction, then east on the Short Line Sub to load at Consol 95 at Haywood, WVa. There is no direct connection to make that move without the run-around. At the east end of the run-around is a defunct B&O CPL that looks like it governed the double track main into town. From there east, it looks like it just ends in the weeds. So if you know where the CSX "High" yard office is, go rr east about a train length (it's in a park) and you'll see where the line entered town...

Al Moran,
The SD80MACKing

Date: 10/24/03 13:26
Hey rbx...
Author: csx6574

They are talking about the B&O line from Cumberland to St.Louis. Not the C&O Line from Richmond, Va. You are not the only one that has thought that! It's the CSX Mountain Sub between Cumberland, Md. and Grafton WVa. It then becomes the Bridgeport Sub to Clarksburg, WVa. From there west to Parkersburg, WVa., it is all abandoned...

Keep us up on the sale of the Piedmont and N. Mountain Subs as that is a very cool piece of railroad to chase and photograph...

Al Moran,
The SD80MACKing

Date: 10/24/03 15:50
Re: Hey rbx...
Author: CivilEngineer

my apologies for any confusion regarding which CSX sub I had in mind....I have made the same error, the other way around, as I am more familiar with West Virginia than Virginia.

As always, though, I enjoy an opportunity to foment rumor on trainorders, hoping that all understand it is rumor. I mean, if we had the facts all the time, what fun would there be in discussing....... ;-}

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds