Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX BNSF SP lashup

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/23/03 20:15
CSX BNSF SP lashup
Author: DonahueGang1

Caught this neet lashup at 1750 today. The leader is CSX 8741. Sorry, but I can't make out the # of the pumpkin or the Southern Pacific. The latter looks unpatched. One of 2 units I am told. No Q # either. The personal on board was to lazy to even talk. So I can't pass that info west. We have a defect detector less than a half mile away from our railfan site at Donahue Rd. I have a question for you engineers out there on CSX. What info are you required to give out after you pass a track defect detector? Info is like 50/50. Some of you give out the leader of your train, and the Q number on CSX. Some of you have such poor radios on board, they can't be picked up. And then the others who just key the mike, say nothing and those that don't even bother keying your mike. I guess your RR has no policy regarding this? Just wondering. For railfans trying to track your CSX trains, just clicking your mikes doesn't do it for us. Is it so difficult for you to say your leader and Q # ?

Date: 10/23/03 20:34
Re: CSX BNSF SP lashup
Author: DenisFBlake

DonahueGang1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caught this neet lashup at 1750 today. The leader
> is CSX 8741. Sorry, but I can't make out the # of
> the pumpkin or the Southern Pacific. The latter
> looks unpatched. One of 2 units I am told. No Q #
> either. The personal on board was to lazy to even
> talk. So I can't pass that info west. We have a
> defect detector less than a half mile away from
> our railfan site at Donahue Rd. I have a question
> for you engineers out there on CSX. What info are
> you required to give out after you pass a track
> defect detector? Info is like 50/50. Some of you
> give out the leader of your train, and the Q
> number on CSX. Some of you have such poor radios
> on board, they can't be picked up. And then the
> others who just key the mike, say nothing and
> those that don't even bother keying your mike. I
> guess your RR has no policy regarding this? Just
> wondering. For railfans trying to track your CSX
> trains, just clicking your mikes doesn't do it for
> us. Is it so difficult for you to say your leader
> and Q # ?

Lets get something straight, the crews of trains are not on them for your personal enjoyment...We are on these trains to do a job..The fact that you can't get information from our radio conversations or lack there of, is not of importance to us..

On NS we don't even have to acknowledge detectors over the radio. We do have to call signals but there is a huge difference in the way crews handle that as well.

Date: 10/23/03 20:42
Author: tmotor2

And another thing, why don't you engineers stop for us railfans and let us operate the trains, seems so inconsiderate of you guys!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. I am just a simple ole foamer and thought asking the train crew to identify train and such over the radio as being rude.

Joel

Date: 10/23/03 20:53

Depends on the railroad. My simple question is WHY do some trains give full info when they pass the defect detector, giving train leader # and Q # on CSX , all the info, which train fans love, while other trains do not do this, giving leader # at best, or just a mike key? Or Nothing at all? Can you answer this simple question for me?

Date: 10/23/03 21:04

sorry Joel, know what you talking about before you join in the conversation. Till then, buzz off. And good night.

Date: 10/23/03 21:10
Author: TAMRwinterCONV

That train is Q119.

Adam

Date: 10/24/03 00:51
Author: BaltoJoey

Wasn't this topic discussed a few weeks ago? Since this seems to be a standard practice then obviously no company rules are being broken. I agree with Dennis that train crews are not running those locomotives to cater to our hobby. We have trains here in Baltimore that sometimes do not call a signal or do so in a weak or undecipherable voice. Nobody does a job perfectly.

BaltoJoey

Date: 10/24/03 03:38
Author: supersock

Just make yourself a set of "approach" boards. Set them up 1/2 mile in both directions of your spot you've chosen for photography.

Guaranteed, someone will call somebody when they see a set of "boards" not on their work bulletins.

Date: 10/24/03 04:30
Author: kuma_no_pooh

He answered your question. They don't have to call defect detectors. Some do and some dont, probably based on prior experience and/or work habits from other subs and other lines. I'm willing to bet that the ones that do call don't do so out of the goodness of their hearts towards foamers.

And speaking as a foamer, that's alright by me. Any info I can get is always welcome, but it's pretty galling to ask someone to alter the way they do their paid job just for the convenience of a hobbyist.

Date: 10/24/03 04:36
Author: CR6444

Kev,

Who cares what those idiots complaining about. Its a simple rules violation that the conductors/engineers are not doing their radio repeating jobs. If there was a rules examiner right on your spot, then thats their loss.

By the way, that is one of the best colorful shots you took, you probably would have beaten the eastern board for the best photo shoot.

Good job and good shot Kev!

Dave
TOMT7X

PS- That was Q119. People (on our local newsgroups) are shocked and suprised on how and why they didnt get that power consist to Boston. Maybe it's the cold or the snow..

Date: 10/24/03 04:36
Author: kuma_no_pooh

Sounds to me like Joel knows precisely what he is talking about.

You might not intend it, but what you're asking here comes across as a little, well, arrogant. Asking someone to give out all this info because it's a "pain" for you to not have it is just a little on the cocky side.

I'm reminded of a story about flies, honey, and vinegar but I won't bore you with the details.

Date: 10/24/03 05:13
Answering the Detector...
Author: csx6574

Maybe the handset doesn't work and the conductor doesn't know that because the engineer has been doing the talking. Maybe the radio just plain sucks (which is often the case).

It depends on where the detector is. In the Baltimore area, if it is on the B&O you do NOT have to reply. On the RF&P at Slater's Lane (Alexandria, Va.), it asks for a reply. We give one. In Conrail days, crews were supposed to answer them but maybe CSX, in that area, changed it so they don't have to.

As for putting up signs to have the crew talk to you, well that was just a plain stupid thing to say. To do that is probably a federal offense. Hopefully that was said in jest, but then again, consider the source...

Al Moran,
The SD80MACKing

Date: 10/24/03 06:10
Author: CW44AC60

DenisFBlake Wrote:
> DonahueGang1 Wrote:
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Caught this neet lashup at 1750 today. The
> leader
> > is CSX 8741. Sorry, but I can't make out
> the # of
> > the pumpkin or the Southern Pacific. The
> latter
> > looks unpatched. One of 2 units I am told.
> No Q #
> > either. The personal on board was to lazy
> to even
> > talk. So I can't pass that info west. We
> have a
> > defect detector less than a half mile away
> from
> > our railfan site at Donahue Rd. I have a
> question
> > for you engineers out there on CSX. What
> info are
> > you required to give out after you pass a
> track
> > defect detector? Info is like 50/50. Some
> of you
> > give out the leader of your train, and the
> Q
> > number on CSX. Some of you have such poor
> radios
> > on board, they can't be picked up. And then
> the
> > others who just key the mike, say nothing
> and
> > those that don't even bother keying your
> mike. I
> > guess your RR has no policy regarding this?
> Just
> > wondering. For railfans trying to track
> your CSX
> > trains, just clicking your mikes doesn't do
> it for
> > us. Is it so difficult for you to say your
> leader
> > and Q # ?
>
>
> Lets get something straight, the crews of trains
> are not on them for your personal enjoyment...We
> are on these trains to do a job..The fact that you
> can't get information from our radio conversations
> or lack there of, is not of importance to us..
>
> On NS we don't even have to acknowledge
> detectors over the radio. We do have to call
> signals but there is a huge difference in the way
> crews handle that as well.
>
>
Once again you have to answer a question in a billigerent tone there Dennis....why don't you quit being so nasty with people?

Date: 10/24/03 11:28
Re: Answering the Detector...
Author: Ster2Block

Geez Brian, he's right, do you have to be so mouthy? Sheesh!

Ster 2

Date: 10/24/03 11:32
Author: tmotor2

DonahueGang1 Wrote:
> sorry Joel, know what you talking about before you
> join in the conversation. Till then, buzz off.
> And good night.

Sorry DonahueGang1, if you are going to post on this forum it is open and fair game, especially when you post moronic stuff like you have. And sorry I don't get "know what you are talking about", does this mean I have to agree with you before I can post to this thread, oh sorry, join in the conversation? If I ever have some moronic thoughts I will certainly "buzz in" and join in your conversation.

Have a good day.

Joel

Date: 10/24/03 12:36
Author: EL-SD45-3632

The answer is simple! The detector says, "C.S.X equipment defect detector mile post 152.2 track # 1 no defects"(No. Baltimore OH.), train is in the area go find it! I don't need a train crew to tell me that.. I'll buzz out for now.

Date: 10/24/03 12:57
Author: BaltoJoey

Did someone say that this was a good photograph? It looks pretty darn blurry to me. I've taken better snaps with my old Kodak Instamatic.....LOL

Date: 10/24/03 14:30
Author: eastwayne

The milepost at the North Baltimore, Ohio HBD is 52.2 not 152.2.

Date: 10/24/03 14:40
Author: eastwayne

BaltoJoey Wrote:
> Did someone say that this was a good photograph?
> It looks pretty darn blurry to me. I've taken
> better snaps with my old Kodak Instamatic.....LOL

The picture is definetly blurry. I like all that brush blocking out the engine numbers, definetly a picture of the year candidate, HA HA HA HA!!!!

Date: 10/24/03 14:45
Denis F. Blake thinks...
Author: elchapman

that just because he works for NS that he is the foremost authority on anything that deals with railroading. And then he tells us in a way that treats us like we are stupid. I have worked for both NS and CSX and can say that no matter how much loyalty you show to the railroad, they care about one thing and it isn't personnel. And just because he thinks he knows everything doesn't give him the right to treat the rest of us like idiots. I would love to give him a whole list of financial info and watch him put a balance sheet, income statement, and etc. because he knows everything.
Lee

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0947 seconds