Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cantilever Replacement on the NS Wabash

Date: 11/15/04 20:03
Cantilever Replacement on the NS Wabash
Author: JET

Rockfield, IN....up with the new and soon to be down with the old.

Signal replacement almost completed....just need to disassemble the old cantilever to finish the job.

A sad time on the NS Wabash. Hopefully the cantilever will be donated to a RR museum.

John Troxler

Date: 11/16/04 09:07
Re: Cantilever Replacement on the NS Wabash
Author: BN7149

I made it out there last Thursday, sad to see the bags over the lights. A set of light power came through going East to pick up a grain train in Clymers, but that was all I caught under the cantilever, I was underdressed for the occasion and like the temperature, light was falling fast. Any idea when the crane will arrive to tear it down?

-Ryan

Date: 11/16/04 15:41
Re: Cantilever Replacement on the NS Wabash

BN7149 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made it out there last Thursday, sad to see the
> bags over the lights. A set of light power came
> through going East to pick up a grain train in
> Clymers, but that was all I caught under the
> cantilever, I was underdressed for the occasion
> and like the temperature, light was falling fast.
> Any idea when the crane will arrive to tear it
> down?
>
> -Ryan

Ryan,

I have heard as soon as the HD crane from Decatur makes its way to Rockfield. I am sure it will be before the end of the year.

John

Date: 11/17/04 16:24
Not mono hoods
Author: GTWGregg

I hate mono hoods, If it were a triangle tri-light type, then I would feel better. I hate to see cantilevers get replaced. DOWN WITH MONO HOODS.

Date: 11/17/04 17:42
Re: Not mono hoods
Author: DieselDog

They have changed all of the signals here along the river line here in Scottsville,VA. They left the cantilevers standing here,just took down the signals & replaced they with the "Darth Vader" type signals.

Date: 11/17/04 19:49
Author: Mgoldman

They seem functionally identical - why incur the expense to replace?

Date: 11/17/04 21:00

Mgoldman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They seem functionally identical - why incur the
> expense to replace?

A safety issue since there are not many safety appliances on the old signal mast and the old signal has moving color target lenses which are getting on in age.

Date: 11/18/04 14:21
safety
Author: halfmoonharold

Rust is making many old cantilever and bracket mast signals unsafe for maintainers to climb. A simple bulb replacement requires a bucket truck. Of course, you could say it's a sinister plot to make the railscape so boring that no one will want to take pictures of trains anymore. That would solve the "railfan problem."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds