Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS help-wanted ads on TV...

Date: 12/04/04 20:52
NS help-wanted ads on TV...
Author: jgilmore

Was watching my boys the other night on ESPN, you know the basket-brawlers in Motown, and walked into the kitchen to get something. When I returned to the TV, I saw some NS trains on the screen and said, "What the hell is this?" Turned out to be the first TV ad I ever saw in my life about working for a railroad. Amazing how far the RR industry has come since I was a kid and everything was in serious decline, and working at a railroad was not only stigmatized but damned near impossible. Anyone else see these ads? Have they been running long, and are they regional ads or all over the place? Just a little curious after seeing the ad yesterday.

Thanks for any replies.

Joel Gilmore (who has absolutely no desire to work for any RR)
Alburtis, PA (mp 24 on NS' Reading Line)

Date: 12/04/04 21:10
Re: NS help-wanted ads on TV...
Author: dwil89

There was a report in the latest Railpace that business was up substantially for NS in the 3rd quarter, mostly in Intermodal traffic, due to high fuel prices putting more trailers on the rails...Report also stated that NS was looking to hire 1500 additional Conductors....this ad may be a result of all this....Dave Williams

Date: 12/05/04 09:42
Author: mjbobb

ALL the class ones in the country will be needing new hires the next few years due to many old heads retiring here in the next few years.

Date: 12/06/04 07:57
Author: dschlegel

Joel, I have not seen the TV ads, but have heard on 95.1 out of Allentown many radio ads calling for Conductor trainees. I heard one this AM around 7:20 while driving through Alburtis (again).
Its pretty neat if you ask me.

Dan Schlegel
Topton, PA
MP 18 NS Reading Line

Date: 12/07/04 02:06
Author: Trainman51

Word Has it that they are looking for 100 people in roanoke and are hiring for four days starting the 13th of this month

Date: 12/07/04 11:55
Author: dwil89

dschlegel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joel, I have not seen the TV ads, but have heard
> on 95.1 out of Allentown many radio ads calling
> for Conductor trainees. I heard one this AM around
> 7:20 while driving through Alburtis (again).
> Its pretty neat if you ask me.
>
> Dan Schlegel
> Topton, PA
> MP 18 NS Reading Line

That is neat...You really don't see the Railroads advertising for help in your newspaper want-ads or on radio...For NS to be adbertising it on radio, they must really be in need of help...Dave Williams

Date: 12/08/04 14:56
Author: CSX_CO

dwil89 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really don't see the Railroads
> advertising for help in your newspaper want-ads or
> on radio...For NS to be adbertising it on radio,
> they must really be in need of help...

You must not check the want-ads very often, or are looking in the wrong spots. NS frequently advertises in the newspapers in the area they are planning to hire. I know of several instances of this for Grand Rapids and Jackson in Michigan in the last year alone. They also will advertise for Fort Wayne.

CSX tells you to contact the training schools and you tell them where you want to work. They then make up classes when the RR's say "We're looking for XXX people for YYY terminal." You go to the class, pass the class, pass the drug and background check, and you are pretty much assured a job for the location you chose.

Practice Safe CSX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds