Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Delivery of new GE Locomotives

Date: 02/09/05 14:05
Delivery of new GE Locomotives
Author: RuleG

About 3:00 p.m., while on my way to a doctor's appoitnment, I saw an NS GP pulling several GE locomotives on the Pittsburgh Line about three miles east of Downtown Pittsburgh. All of the GEs were wrapped in blue plastic covers so I could not tell who ordered them. Anyone care to guess where these locomotives are headed?

Dave

Date: 02/09/05 14:36
Re: Delivery of new GE Locomotives
Author: sp8192

I'd say some of BNSF's new paint scheme kept secret from the public until they unveil them sometime in the near future...

Date: 02/09/05 14:57
Author: papio

Same scenario as when the UP 2000 and 2001 were delivered--they had some blue wrapping applied, however the basic design/logo was somewhat visible despite the attempts to disguise them.

Date: 02/09/05 15:03
Author: Traingod

Which way was the train going? Seems odd that NS would route a pickup from GE at Erir through Pittsburgh to BNSF at Chicago. If it was heading east, it could be heading to Altoona.

Additionally, its not uncommon for export locomotives to have blue tarps for transport to the port.

Patrick

Date: 02/09/05 17:23
Author: Freddy

Train was the NS 098! I caught it in a rain shower in Ardara. The 5601 was the leader and sole power for the train. Man was the GP really working upgrade at Ardara with those Big BoyS! Here is a pic.

Enjoy,

RAS

Date: 02/09/05 17:51
Author: edhorm

I don't think they would be BNSF, the trucks and fuel tank do not appear to be silver. Export perhaps?

Date: 02/09/05 18:05
Author: Freddy

I believe they are going to South America

Date: 02/09/05 18:14
Author: BothanSpy

New FDL powered AC4400CW's for Venizula... likely to be some of the last ones built.

BTW. for those woundering, Tier 2 standards only apply to locomotives in the US or operating in the US.

Date: 02/09/05 18:56
Author: RuleG

Traingod: The train was headed east.

Freddy: Thanks for the photo. Nice to see such a clean locomotive.

BothanSpy: thanks for the reply.

Dave

Date: 02/09/05 19:58
Author: SOO6617

BothanSpy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New FDL powered AC4400CW's for Venizula... likely
> to be some of the last ones built.
>
> BTW. for those woundering, Tier 2 standards only
> apply to locomotives in the US or operating in the
> US.

Are you sure they are for Venezuela? Two AC4400CWs were delivered to Houston last week for Ferromineras in Venezuela, but they weren't tarped. See this post on the Western Board for photographs. Scroll down to the 3rd picture http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,854476,854583#msg-854583

Date: 02/09/05 22:41
Author: BothanSpy

Im just repeating what I've been told. I guess there would be a fair chance of it being wrong.

Date: 02/10/05 11:18
Author: wabash2800

China?

Date: 02/10/05 20:10
Author: alamode

Based on the size of the fuel tank my guess would be that these are BB40-9Ws for Brazil. Look at how short those fuel tanks are. The only units GE has constructed in the past with this type of fuel tank is this model -- when they get to Brazil they'll have to stick two four axle trucks between each pilot and fuel tank.

And to answer another question posted in this thread -- only those railroads that connect with and operate through US railroads need to meet the EPA's Tier 0 - 2 emissions standards. Export locomotives to South America or China would not have to worry about it.

The China units won't be coming until much later this year.

Date: 02/10/05 20:33
Author: espeeboy

if those are indeed export BB GE's with four four axle trucks then I am sure Freddy would have yelled that out since that would have been pretty noticable! What, no other side on photos of the tarped units going by Freddy? Such a teaser photo...

Date: 02/10/05 20:46
Author: alamode

Please reread my earlier post. They do not get the four axle trucks until they get to Brazil. They will have C-C trucks under them for shipment. Brazil has different gauge tracks so whatever they ship with from Erie and travel on in the US will get exchanged so the units can be used in Brazil.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds