Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > RJ Corman chase from Cresson to Fallentimber and back..

Date: 06/29/05 05:49
RJ Corman chase from Cresson to Fallentimber and back..
Author: dwil89

Last Monday, while eating breakfast at the Station Inn in Cresson, a consist of Corman power came off the Wye at the Cresson Enginehouse to couple up to an empty hopper train on 5 West to take the train to Fallen Timber, roughly 30 miles or so North. I decided that a chase was in order, so while the crew pumped up the air and knocked off handbrakes, I gassed up the car and grabbed my scanner and camera....The power on the North end consisted of 5 Corman engines...a mix of GP38's and an SD 40-2. The South end consisted of 2 NS Dash-9's and a Corman SD40-T-2. Once the train got to Fallen Timber, it was split in half and loaded in 2 sections, being brought back down to Cresson in two sections where it was put back together as one loaded train for NS to pick up. Pic 1 shows the empties heading toward the Irvona Secondary....Dave Williams

Date: 06/29/05 05:55
Re: RJ Corman chase from Cresson to Fallentimber and ba

Another view of the head end.....Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 05:59

The train reaches the Cresson Shaft Road grade crossing on the Irvona Secondary....Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 06:04

Caught the train at another Crossing further North toward Ashville....Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 06:08

The train crosses Rte 36 in Ashville....Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 06:14

The power is now on the South end of section 2 after loading and is ready to head South...Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 06:19

The loaded train begins its trek south...shortly after this pic was snapped, the Geeps throttled up and the vicinity was engulfed in a cloud of diesel smoke....Dave W

Date: 06/29/05 06:24

The consist approaches the Rte 36 crossing in Ashville.....Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 06:33

And finally, the power is seen back down in Cresson after cutting off its train...Dave W.

Date: 06/29/05 09:31
Author: cidispatcher

Dave;

Thanks very much for taking the time to grab your stuff and make the run to share these. Nice pics and an interesting story.

BM

Date: 06/29/05 09:39

Thanks...I had always wanted to chase that line....Dave W.cidispatcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dave;
>
> Thanks very much for taking the time to grab
> your stuff and make the run to share these. Nice
> pics and an interesting story.
>
> BM
>

Date: 06/29/05 11:54
Author: SW1200

Cool photos, love that SD40-2 snoot. For those of out west, refesh my moemory. Cresson is at the top of the grade out of Altoona? Do they do anyhting on this line other than haul coal? Any idea how heavy that rail is, and in what condition it is? This is an intersting short line.

Thanks.

SW1200

Date: 06/29/05 13:38

Cresson is three miles West of the Summit at Gallitzin...The Fallen Timber Line is a Coal route...there is another Corman Line that runs out of Cresson from behind the Engine house area....runs up along old 22 for awhile until it diverges toward Clearfield...the access to the Irvona Line is only a tenth to a quarter mile East of the Cresson Secondary that runs up to the Clearfield area and which also handles primarily Coal....The Irvona dead ends at a loadout about 30 miles North of Cresson, while the other line can provide access with the Buffalo Line.....Dave Williams

Date: 06/29/05 21:00
Author: saludamtn

Doggone it! I was gonna ask about the T-motor and Dave beat me to it. Oh, well. Gotta get up there later in the year. Provided, of course, that the bosslady approves.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds