Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Do they still run trains on the West Slope ???

Date: 07/14/05 16:46
Do they still run trains on the West Slope ???
Author: scoobydoobydoo

Next month the scoobster is heading east,How much ns trafic is on the west slope during august.Is the smurf and the rat still roaming the woods.Its been so long Heck cassandra probably is long gone....Scoobydoobydooooo

Date: 07/14/05 17:31
Re: Do they still run trains on the West Slope ???
Author: CR4122

I was there a few weeks ago and the traffic was quite good. For example, I saw 34 trains at Cassandra between 8:25 AM and 6:17 PM. I averaged more than 30 trains for the week during that time frame. This does not include helper movements.

Date: 07/14/05 17:33
Author: dwil89

As far as West Slope train action goes,you can listen live to West Slope Action on a new West Slope Scanner Feed....Its on www.railroadradio.net.Just scroll down the feeds on the left side of that site until you find West Slope-Johnstown, Pa. I have it on right now.....You should see the usual 50-60 trains in 24 hours....I was out around Enola this past Sunday and counted 21 trains on the Pittsburgh Line in 8 hours....When I was in for a week in June, fellow railfans were counting 30 between 8AM and 6PM....The West Slopers are still out and about...Dave Williams

Date: 07/14/05 18:22
Author: Ster2Block

No, no trains on the West Slope. The entire NS Intermodal speed lane has been shut down permanently.

They don't use the line.

Date: 07/14/05 18:28
Author: dsktc

You are wicked, Tony. :<)

Dave

Ster2Block Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, no trains on the West Slope. The entire NS
> Intermodal speed lane has been shut down
> permanently.
>
> They don't use the line.

Date: 07/14/05 19:21
Author: bnsf

Was there a few weeks ago.....looked to be railbanked!

LOL

Grady

Date: 07/15/05 06:53
Author: ddavies

Rat and Smurf moved to Ohio to watch trains after the West Slope was turned into a 16 lane bike trail. ;-)

Date: 07/15/05 13:46
Author: jmlott2002

I saw the article in Trains on Horseshoe Curve and was wondering if the times they show for the trains thru there are accurate for a typical day or are some of those late running? It has me thinking of coming up there and shooting NS in a different locale from my norm,mainly Alabama and Georgia and Mississippi. Also,do the Roadrailer trains run in daylight or at nite?

Date: 07/15/05 17:22
Author: dwil89

jmlott2002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw the article in Trains on Horseshoe Curve and
> was wondering if the times they show for the
> trains thru there are accurate for a typical day
> or are some of those late running? It has me
> thinking of coming up there and shooting NS in a
> different locale from my norm,mainly Alabama and
> Georgia and Mississippi. Also,do the Roadrailer
> trains run in daylight or at nite?

The Train symbols themselves are accurate....though some new ones have been added since the article was written.Times are an approximation....there are some trains that come through roughly in the same time of day each day, but times depend upon alot of factors....a rested crew available to get the trains out of the yard....slow orders along the route that day....a hot box detector tripping, causing a train to stop and inspect...etc...time it takes to build the actual train in the yard, or do set outs and pickups..you will see up to 30 trains or more a day in daylight in Summertime along the Pittsburgh Line...but a scheduled commuter railroad, it ain't. If you have that chart handy, log on to Railroadradio.net and click onto any of the NS live scanner feeds across Pennsylvania....Harrisburg, Johnstown, Pittsburgh, etc...You will hear NS crews calling signals, often calling their symbol....compare the time on the chart in the article with times you are hearing the train on the radio, and you'll see what I mean....During the longer daylight hours of Summer, you can see Roadrailers along the Pittsburgh Line in daylight...a couple of Eastbound Triple Crowns usually run through the West Slope in early evening.... usually symboled 242 and 262Sometimes you can catch Westbound Triple Crowns in the morning....Dave Williams

Date: 07/19/05 20:33
Author: jmlott2002

Thanks for the info. I'm used to hearing NS call symbols,where you can and can't understand a word they are saying. How good are locations to sit and film? When i go out i usually like to get there when the sun comes up and leave when the light is too dark to film. When i do come up there,i'll ride around and scope the area out,just curious if there are alot of locations to choose from.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds