Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Homestead Florida Airforce base SW8 pictures

Date: 08/27/05 20:04
Homestead Florida Airforce base SW8 pictures
Author: FEC2000

Anyone happen to have a picture of the sw8 switcher that used to be on the base at Homestead Florida? If so please email me at fec701@yahoo.com Also the 2 sw 8 "Titan" switchers from the Cape Canaveral AFB are in FEC Bowden yard at the shops awaiting shipment north, they arrive today on a FEC train from the NASA interchange at Jay-Jay. They are painted blue and say air force on the sides as well as Titan below the engine numbers 2007, 2000 and 2021, I think the 2007 and 2021 are the ones at Bowden and the 2000 remains at CCAFS.

thanks in advance

Jeff

Date: 08/28/05 13:14
Re: Homestead Florida Airforce base SW8 pictures
Author: borg

Where are the locomotives going? Has anything replaced them at the Cape?
K. Borg

Date: 08/28/05 14:09

Only 1 unit left behind for switching on the CCAFB, these switchers were used for the Titan rockets, they were MU'ed for side by side operation to pull rockets around. Not sure where the 2 in Jax. are headed.

Date: 08/28/05 15:58
Author: acltrainman

The switchers are from Cape Caneveral not Homestead, it's the USAF Titan facility. These are seperate from the NASA facility
acltrainman

Date: 08/28/05 20:22

I think it was made quite clear the Titan SW8s are from the Cape and NOT Homestead. There were 3 of them based at the Cape for the Titan project, now there is 1 left and 2 have been shipped out, yes NASA has 3 SW1500s that are still serving NASA. The NASA railroad picked up the 2 SW8s from the Cape and deliverd them to the NASA/FEC interchange at Jay-Jay yard. I only made referance to the Titan SWs on the FEC incase some one wanted to make a visit to Bowden Yard and get pictures of them before they are scrapped or shipped off to another base where they may never be seen again.....When the FECRS had a tour this last January, we were told 2 were sold and going to be scrapped.

I am looking for pictures or the engine number of the SW8 that was based at Homestead a number of years ago and was shipped out.

Now I hope that clears up the above post.....

Date: 08/29/05 14:24
Author: FECSD40-2

It is a shame that the connection to the base was ripped out even before Andrew. Also, the branch from Florida City to Kendall was ripped out in 1989, eliminating a line that could have been used for commuters and freight which was in far better shape than the CSX line to Florida City. A real shame. And it was replaced in part by a bus only road.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds