Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Model Railroading > Question on which brand to use

Date: 11/18/07 14:33
Question on which brand to use
Author: sebaeb

I am using micro-engineering code 83 weathered flex track and was wondering which brand of switch track (turnouts) are recommended? I plan on using code 55 for industry sidings and was wondering what do you use as a transition between the different rail sizes at the switch connection?

thanks steve

Date: 11/18/07 15:08
Re: Question on which brand to use
Author: wabash2800

Micro E does make turnouts but there only as large as No. 6's, but I've heard a lot of people complain about reliability of these turnouts. You could use Walthers, for example, and paint them the same as the track and it would look fine. There are slight differences in cross sections of different brands of rails but not so much that it is a problem, at least in HO.

As to the transition, I like the transition rail joiners that Walthers makes and just bend and crimp to fit to get the tops of the rails at the same height. Then I solder them.

I'm using the Central Valley switch kits. You substitute your own rail so you can use the Micro Engineering rail. The tie blocks are for code 83 and 70 but if you use code 55 you must use a track gauge. As an added note on the CV kits, I hate the frogs and points included with the kit. I substitute cast frogs from Details West and machined 3 plane points from Andy Reichart at Proto 87 Shops. Actually, he'll sell you a CV tie block, the cast frog, cut rails with the CV points for cheaper than if you bought them separately. But I believe you have to order the 3 plane points separately. (The 3 plane points make it so you don't have to notch out the stock rails for the point ends.)You don't have to notch out with the provided CV points too, but I think they are junk.

Date: 11/18/07 15:54
Re: Question on which brand to use
Author: sebaeb

Thank you very much for the info...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds