Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Model Railroading > Thoughts on Brass Train Guide Book?

Date: 03/01/08 16:25
Thoughts on Brass Train Guide Book?
Author: baldfacenine

This book and associated price list have been widely advertised for the past months. Got a copy because, it seemed to be a much needed update and improvement from J. Gurdak's Brown Book. After reading through it, it seems a bit MR ish (superficial). The list does not use the Brown books as a basis with respect to models imported and dates. There are significant importer omissions that ARE in John's book.

Been in the hobby a long time and maybe my expectations are not realistic. Anybody else have any thoughts on the book and list?

Date: 03/01/08 17:08
Re: Thoughts on Brass Train Guide Book?
Author: tracktime

Who is the publisher, and author of this new book? Cover price? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Harry

Date: 03/01/08 17:12
Author: brfriedm

Here you go. I looked at the book at a show but did not buy it. It did look very nice.

Bruce

http://www.brassguide.com/

tracktime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who is the publisher, and author of this new book?
> Cover price? Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Harry

Date: 03/01/08 18:54
Author: Red_over_Yellow

By his own admission in the forward Dan says he is a relative rookie at this stuff. Seems like a nice book but the price guide needs work. He could have validated many of the prices searching Ebay results. Many of the model photos seem overexposed. He says the price guide will be produced annually so he has opportunities to improve it. All in all a nice effort but all be it at a very high price.

Date: 03/01/08 19:03
Author: PARKCITY

I actually enjoyed it very much. I found the interviews with the brass importers very interesting. The interview with W&R Imports was very thought provoking. I am biased though because I buy a lot of brass from Brasstrains.com and I really like dealing with Dan.

The one picture that did bother me was the Overland HO Scale D&RGW Pipe Dozer, the model is damaged. If you look at the front boom it is totally mangled and bent.

Jason

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds