Home Open Account Help 152 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas Signal System, anyone using it?

Date: 04/12/08 08:23
Atlas Signal System, anyone using it?
Author: DMIR230

I am sort of tempted to start replacing my signal system with the Atlas one. However, I have yet to see anyone comment on theirs, has anyone bought it? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I have a double track main and was wondering how the signal indication works for crossovers, is it tied into the switchmotors some way?

Thanks.

DMIR230

Date: 04/12/08 10:53
Re: Atlas Signal System, anyone using it?
Author: wabash2800

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,1327292

You know its kind of funny they would model those tri-light signals that not many roads used. Leave it up to the model (toy?) manufacturers. Wouldn't searchlight signals have been a better idea?

Seems to me it goes along the same line of dumb fart thinking of their roundhouse that only works with their toy-dink turntable. I'm not trying to be negative but what were they thinking??? Are the Chinese doing the product development too?

Edit: Reportedly, they'll be coming out with other signals. We'll see.

Date: 04/12/08 13:57
Author: RioGrandeFan

A friend uses the Atlas system and it works very well, he has not tied it into turnouts but you can do so with some other circuitry. No matter what you do for signals, the circuitry is fairly involved. One thing that is essential for proper operation of most signal systems is having detectable wheelsets. Since these are current sensing systems each car must draw current with an axle that has a resistor on it. These axles can be expensive or you can make your own.

If NCE ever brings out their Sig-12, I think it will be my choice as it has numerous options and can control both common anode and common cathode signals. Plus it seems easier to tie in accessory decoders for proper signal indication.

Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/12/08 15:29
Author: gate5

I have been using the Atlas System for over a year and it has worked out well. It is simple to install and there are several other sites that can help with any technical problems and solutions to complex track work. It is independent of switch machines or track power. I use a DB-20 block detector instead of the Atlas unit. In this way there is no connection to DCC. Also I have heard of several people who have used the SBC control board and other types of signals such as Oregon Rail Supply. Hopefully Atlas will come out with a single target signal soon. Also if you can find a copy of the October issue of Model Railroad News, there is an extensive review of the system both in N and HO scale. Overall I would say it does the job very well and if you take one block at a time then the wiring is pretty easy. The SBC has many options as has been mentioned above. Even though it is a three position RYG signal it still looks good. Having wheel sets with a resistor is not hard. There have been many comments and "how to's" on the subject. Also I agree that I am waiting for the NCE Signal 12. It has been announced for almost a year...what is going on? I hear that NCE is involved in other projects and has fallen back on making either new equipment or supplying inventory for the old standards... don't know, just a rumor?

Dick Foster

Date: 04/12/08 16:59
Author: brfriedm

There are plenty of excellent block detections systems on the market that have been out for years that work well and have proven their worth. No reason to wait. Good luck.

Bruce

Date: 04/12/08 21:37
Author: swsf

gate5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also I agree that I am waiting for
> the NCE Signal 12. It has been announced for
> almost a year...what is going on? I hear that NCE
> is involved in other projects and has fallen back
> on making either new equipment or supplying
> inventory for the old standards... don't know,
> just a rumor?

They've been very busy with their 3rd generation wireless radio improvements which has resulted in a wireless experience that is as good as being plugged in. The response of the NCE wireless was a bit slow due to the complications of 2-way communications to the cabs to keep the display updated, something some of the other manufacturers avoided by requiring the throttle to be plugged in for critical actions such as programming, etc. NCE is now swamped with doing upgrades to existing 1st and 2nd generation radio throttles that people have the option of requesting. I was a beta tester for the 3rd generation throttles and know first hand that the improvements are well worth it. Many, many people want the upgrades.

Rick

Date: 04/13/08 09:23
Author: tmurray

At the very least, NYC used it, CR used it, now CSX and NS are using it.
In this neck of the woods, Amtrak is now using it too, but that's not enough I guess.

I've been to the actual signal that was chosen as the prototype.
As with any product, if it does well enough, more signal heads will -most likely- be produced.

-Tom

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,1
> 327292
>
>
> You know its kind of funny they would model those
> tri-light signals that not many roads used. Leave
> it up to the model (toy?) manufacturers. Wouldn't
> searchlight signals have been a better idea?
>
> Seems to me it goes along the same line of dumb
> fart thinking of their roundhouse that only works
> with their toy-dink turntable. I'm not trying to
> be negative but what were they thinking??? Are the
> Chinese doing the product development too?
>
> Edit: Reportedly, they'll be coming out with other
> signals. We'll see.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0665 seconds