Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Creator of South Shasta Lines dies at age 96

Date: 04/19/09 10:04
Creator of South Shasta Lines dies at age 96
Author: graybeard1942

"Godfrey A. Humann, 96, the famous and very prominent South Shasta Lines Model Railroad builder of Gerber, passed away on April 15, 2009 at his home near Gerber.

In 1950 the Humanns started the internationally known South Shasta Model Railroad. The model railroad was made up as a replica to the Southern Pacific's Shasta Division, Gerber to Dunsmuir. Mr. Humann has shown his little railroad to some 91,000 people in the past 60 years, and many people come away with amazement at what they had seen. It is now of great historical value as many things are no longer seen in real life today. They were also well known for the South Shasta Steam Threshing Bee held on Labor Day weekend from 1963 to 1987 and possibly being one of California's first threshing bees."

http://www.legacy.com/RedBluffDailyNews/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=126313716

There have been many references to the South Shasta Lines on TrainOrders over the years. His last public showing was at Christmas of last year. I have no idea what will happen to the layout, but I am sure that he made arrangements for its survival. I will be at his service next week and if I learn more, I will post it here.

Graybeard in Chico CA

Date: 04/19/09 10:22
Re: Creator of South Shasta Lines dies at age 96
Author: BEAR8216

Very sad news. What a fine gentleman and a great layout. Now he can go be with his wife. Hopefully someone will continue with the display. I am grateful that I saw it in my lifetime.

Date: 04/19/09 11:28
Author: lynnpowell

Sad news indeed, but boy did he ever live a full life! I visited the layout well over a dozen times and was awed and inspired every time! I even duplicated his layout on computer simulation program (only to loose it when a virus attacked my system). I have a bunch of photos of him and his layout, many of the MR and RMC articles on the South Shasta, and both of the "home made videos" that he produced......he will never be forgotten!

Date: 04/20/09 09:46
Author: cdub

I'm glad I had the chance to visit his layout (Dec 07') when he was still around. RIP.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1939 seconds