Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Model Railroading > How to install MV marker lights?

Date: 05/28/09 10:32
How to install MV marker lights?
Author: IAISfan

I'm getting close to putting the finishing touches on an IAIS M420R I'm building, but I'm stumped as to how to install the 0.052" MV lenses in the marker lights - the first MVs I've ever used. They're TINY. I'm assuming you apply ACC to the model and then add the lense, but how on earth do you do so without dropping it or touching the ACC?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Joe

Date: 05/28/09 10:50
Re: How to install MV marker lights?
Author: wabash2800

Tweezers? I hope you have few extra marker jewels...

Your might also droop an apron over the edge of the table like jewlers do to catch such a small item before it ends up in the carpet. LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/09 10:51 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/28/09 10:52
Author: SP_8299

You can use ACC, but I prefer to use something like Microscale Krystal Klear (or an equivalent "canopy glue") to attach them, since it will give some time to position it. A small drop into the lens recess on the model is usually more than enough to keep it in place. To pick up those teeny-tiny lenses, I moisten the tip of a toothpick...a quick dab against my tongue usually works <g>...then use the tip to grab the lens, and position it on the model. Let it dry, and you're done. That's what's worked for me...I'm sure others can chime in with their techniques as well.

PE

Date: 05/28/09 10:54
Author: wfre

Joe - I do not recommend using ACC - use Testors Clear Parts Cement, or "Canopy Glue". First drill out the plastic bump of the marker light to make a small recess - using a drill diameter matching the diameter of the lens. Put a small drop of the cement in the recess - eg with the tip of a pin or toothpick.

Lick the flat side of the tip of a #11 knife (carefully, obviously) and touch to the front face of the lens. Spit provides enough adhesion to pick up the MV lens. Place in recess and use tip of #11 knife to position.

My method - only sliced my tongue once in many years :-)

Walt in Sausalito

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/09 10:55 by wfre.

Date: 05/28/09 11:00

Yup, I was planning on using tweezers, but you hit on a main area of concern. I need 11, since one of the prototype's was broken out, and only have 12...the last ones my LHS had, and he's getting out of the detail parts biz. Sure, I could order more, but I'd rather do this right the first time if I can. The shape of the jewels makes it look as if they could very easily pop out of the tweezers given too much pressure.

I've been wondering about wrapping masking tape sticky-side-out around the end of an X-acto blade. Hmmm...

Joe

Date: 05/28/09 11:03

Spit! I never thought of that! Thanks gentlemen.

Joe

Date: 05/28/09 12:04
Author: keysubdiv

better have a good supply on hand. I don`t think MV lenses are real easy to find anymore. Walthers keeps pushing back expected dates on some of them and I doubt whether they actually get any in on their expected dates. Mine were on back-order so long, Walthers cancelled the back-order.

IAISfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure, I could order
> more,

twl

Date: 05/28/09 12:22
Author: NSDash9

I use clear silicone caulk as the adhesive for MV lenses, putting a little dab of caulk in the recess for the lens on the model. To install them, I take a piece of masking tape and cut it to a point and touch just the point to the lens. Then use that to put the lens on the model into the caulk. Sometimes the tape will come loose on its own, but if not I use a #11 X-acto blade to hold the lens on the model while I pull off the tape. I also use the X-acto blade for any positioning that is needed for the lens.

Chris Toth
NSDash9.com

Date: 05/28/09 12:39
Author: cabinman

....or, lick the end of your finger and pick up the lenses on your fingertip and then place it into position into the cavity with some canopy glue in it.

My DNA is on at least a few hundred locos all over the Southwest.....LOL

Keith Turley
Pasadena, California

Date: 05/28/09 12:50
Author: Diesel-Doctor

Joe,

I have always used ACC to attach the MV Lenses to the model. As for handling them, tweezers will frustrate you to no end, not to mention send the small lenses to those dark inconspicuios places on your modeling table where all the KATO grab irons ended up. Anyway, I just take a small piece of blue or green masking tape, (these colors are less sticky and perfect for this use), fold the small piece in half to form a crease. Then I will touch the sticky side a few times to get more of the stickiness off. Then just touch the sticky side of the crease to the front of the MV Lense and apply it to the model. I will use a toothpick to apply a dab of ACC to the model first and then stick the back of the lense into position. The tape comes right off and the lense stays on the model. You may have to use the tweezers to properly position the lense before the ACC sets up. Good luck. I know locally you only have one source for the lenses, but all the local distributors carry the parts and you might have to try one of the other LHS's to order them for you.

Date: 05/28/09 13:14
Author: markm62

Lots of good advice in the above posts. I've attached MV lens using a drop of Microscale Kristal-Kleer (which suspiciously resembles 'Elmers') as glue and a toothpick with a small piece of masking tape attched on the end to move the lens into place. I use a piece of masking tape that has its 'stickiness' reduced (as full-strength tape will invariably not 'let go' of the lens).

I also recall reading somewhere to use a dab of rubber cement on a toothpick to move the lens into place after an adhesive such as ACC has been applied to the lens location.

Good luck

Mark M.

Date: 05/28/09 13:19
Author: tomstp

Get you a wood toothpick. Lick it and touch it to the front of the MV lens. It will stick to the toothpick and you can place it in the opening and slide the toothpick off. It works everytime.

Date: 05/28/09 16:53
Author: redneck4449

SPIT works best. (without copenhagen lol) a little on your finger will hold it there long enuff will hold it there tell you put in place

Date: 06/02/09 20:28
Author: jrwirt

Walthers seems to have issues with some manufacturers. I am not sure
what the issues are or who is at fault, but you can get MV products
with no drama from Discount Models in Michigan:

http://www.discountmodels.com/m.v._lenses.shtml

I placed an order a month or so ago and had all I ordered in
a week.

Regards,
Jim Wirt
San Diego, CA

keysubdiv Wrote:
> better have a good supply on hand. I don`t think
> MV lenses are real easy to find anymore. Walthers
> keeps pushing back expected dates on some of them
> and I doubt whether they actually get any in on
> their expected dates. Mine were on back-order so
> long, Walthers cancelled the back-order.

Date: 06/03/09 09:52
Author: CarlLaFong

jrwirt Wrote:
>... you can get MV products
> with no drama from Discount Models in Michigan:
>
>
> http://www.discountmodels.com/m.v._lenses.shtml
>
> I placed an order a month or so ago and had all I
> ordered in
> a week.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Wirt
> San Diego, CA

Doesn't the Whistle Stop on Fourth have them in stock? If so, then why wait a week?

Carl (too impatient to wait - I want it now!)

Date: 06/03/09 17:04
Author: jrwirt

If they deal with Walther's, they won't have them
either.

Regards,
Jim Wirt
San Diego, CA

CarlLaFong Wrote:
> Doesn't the Whistle Stop on Fourth have them in
> stock? If so, then why wait a week?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0696 seconds