Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Model Railroading > Soundtraxx annonuces Tsunami decoders for Kato engiines

Date: 08/25/09 21:24
Soundtraxx annonuces Tsunami decoders for Kato engiines
Author: SantaFeCF7

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/index.php?p=1000kt.php

They will be a little different from the ones for Atlas and Athearn Genesis units, this is an excerpt from their product description:

"Because of the design and placement of the lights in these models, each decoder is manufactured to suit a particular model rather than prototype. For example, to equip an SD-70, rather than purchasing a model EMD 3rd Generation, you will purchase a TSU-KT1000 for KATO SD-70, which includes the correctly mounted lights and the sounds for an SD-70 (EMD 3rd Generation)."

Here are the decoders announced so far:

P.N. Description
828060 TSU-KT1000 for KATO HO SD-70
828061 TSU-KT1000 for KATO HO C44-9W
828062 TSU-KT1000 for KATO HO SD-38-2
828063 TSU-KT1000 for KATO HO SD-45
828064 TSU-KT1000 for KATO HO F40-PH

Date: 08/26/09 01:11
Re: Soundtraxx annonuces Tsunami decoders for Kato engi
Author: MysticHowler

That's awesome! I was just wondering how I was gonna set my Kato SD70MACs up with sound. This will make things so much easier...Except the lights, gonna have to figure that part out.

Date: 08/26/09 01:24

MysticHowler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's awesome! I was just wondering how I was
> gonna set my Kato SD70MACs up with sound. This
> will make things so much easier...Except the
> lights, gonna have to figure that part out.

Well, it says on the info on the page that I linked to:

"Brilliant Lighting Effects!

Tsunami TSU-KT1000 includes two board-mounted golden LEDs for your headlight and backup light, with two additional outputs available to use for other lighting features. The hardware is already on the circuit board for use with LEDs, so there is no need for external resistors or other electronics. "

Date: 08/26/09 02:25
Author: MysticHowler

Yes, I did get that, but I was referring to the removal of the clear plastic that guides the light. I would like the bulbs to be where the actual lens is. Maybe it is just me being a tad to picky...I don't know.

What is a Rule 17?

Date: 08/26/09 06:34
Author: brfriedm

These were announced in Hartford back in July.

These boards are also more expensive. See pricing below. You still need a speaker. Only the newer C44-9W's, F40PH's and SD38-2's have dedicated speaker slots. The rest you have to work in where they fit. I have done several Kato SD70MAC's with the AT1000 and the Railmaster bass reflex speakers and they sound great.

Bruce

TsunamiTSU-KT1000 Plug and Play for KATO HO Diesel Models
Part Number Description List Price
828060 NEW! Tsunami for Kato HO SD-70 – contains 16 airhorns and sounds appropriate to a 3rd Generation EMD SD-70. $119.00
828061 NEW! Tsunami for Kato HO C44-9W – contains 16 airhorns and sounds appropriate to a GE C44-9W. $119.00
828062 NEW! Tsunami for Kato HO SD-38-2 – contains 16 airhorns and sounds appropriate to a 2ND Generation EMD SD-38-2. $119.00
828063 NEW! Tsunami for Kato HO SD-45 – contains 16 airhorns and sounds appropriate to a 2ND Generation EMD SD-45. $119.00
828064 NEW! Tsunami for Kato HO F40-PH – contains 16 airhorns and sounds appropriate to a 2ND Generation EMD F40-PH. $119.00

Date: 08/26/09 07:16
Author: markm62

Pelle Soeberg's book on detailing that came out this year (Done in a Day, by Kalmbach books) has a section on how he added sound and lights to a Kato unit. It was pretty interesting; he cut some of the light channels and added surface mount LEDs.

Date: 08/26/09 09:00
Author: PHall

MysticHowler Wrote:
> Yes, I did get that, but I was referring to the
> removal of the clear plastic that guides the
> light. I would like the bulbs to be where the
> actual lens is. Maybe it is just me being a tad
> to picky...I don't know.
>
> What is a Rule 17?

Rule 17 is from the older Railroad Rule Books.
Among other things it says that the headlight must be dimmed when meeting another train.

The "Rule 17" function on these decoders allows you to dim the headlights.

Date: 08/26/09 11:18
Author: IAISfan

I've been very interested in converting my Kato SD38-2s to sound, but wasn't impressed with the Digitrax kit for these models. I've heard that Tsunami's in general can be extremely sensitive to dirty track, and frequently reset and repeat their startup sequence. Is that a common problem with those? I've only got two other sound-equipped models so far, a factory P2K SW and a LokSound-equipped M420R (Atlas U23B drive), and both seem to get by fine as long as I'm running the layout somewhat frequently, but if I'm away for 2-3 weeks or more, I can count on having to put down more clipper oil or do a little light track cleaning to get them to behave again.

I don't want to go to the expense of adding Tsunamis to my SDs if they're going to be plagued with problems in this environment. I'd rather have smooth operation and no sound at all than models that shut down repeatedly, so I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,

Joe

Date: 08/26/09 12:25

MysticHowler Wrote:
> Yes, I did get that, but I was referring to the
> removal of the clear plastic that guides the
> light. I would like the bulbs to be where the
> actual lens is. Maybe it is just me being a tad
> to picky...I don't know.
>
> What is a Rule 17?

You should be able to detach the acrylic light rods and then run wires through the pathways the light rods followed?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds