Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers turntables and DCC.

Date: 12/10/09 10:13
Walthers turntables and DCC.
Author: SooLine700

I am looking for some clarity on with the Walthers built-up 90 ft turntable when using DCC on a layout. I did a number of searches on the net and came up with two different answers. I went to Tony's Train Exchange looking for tech tips and didn't find anything. This is the dilemma I have run across. Do the Walthers built-up turntables need a separate decoder installed in the supplied turntable controller to run them on a DCC system? Some say yes others say no.

I know that you do not need to install an auto reversing circuit because the table reverses the polarity when used. So I am looking for guidance as to which way is the proper way. I personally like to keep it simple and avoid if possible wiring a decoder into the turntable controller.

Thanks in advance.

Kent Rengo

Date: 12/10/09 11:57
Re: Walthers turntables and DCC.
Author: ACR_Ted

I have the Walthers 130 ft built up turntable and it works just fine as is on my DCC system. The only problem I've noted is that with sound engines the sound will cut out and then restart as the table is being turned account the dead spot where it reverses track polarity. The supplied control box works fine as is....I did give it its own dedicated 12V supply.

Not sure why you would need a decoder in the TT control??

Ted

Date: 12/10/09 13:02
Author: wfre

Kent - I have this filed away for future use. But interesting that Ted says no mods needed.

http://www.turvill.com/t2/train_stuff/walthersttmods.pdf

Walt in Sausalito

Date: 12/10/09 13:38
Author: ATSF429

wfre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kent - I have this filed away for future use. But
> interesting that Ted says no mods needed.
>
>
>
> Walt in Sausalito

Nice but not required

Date: 12/10/09 15:08

I guess I wasn't sure what Kent was getting at...now I think I see what he wants to do! I assumed he meant if anything needed to be done to the TT to make it DCC friendly out of the box...answer is no if you are content with using the manual control box. If you want to operate it with DCC, then yes you would need to modify the control box as shown.

Ted

Date: 12/10/09 17:28
Author: SooLine700

Yes I just want to use the manual controller that comes with the turntable. But as has already be seen here, there appears to be two different trains of thought on what is done to the turntable control when you have DCC.

Thanks for the responses so far though!

Kent

Date: 12/10/09 18:07
Author: VunderBob

You don't need a DCC controller for the turntable drive, *IF* you don't want to. However, should you want to operate the turntable from your throttle, it can be done.

I, however, have diesels that don't need turning ;-)

Date: 12/10/09 19:52

Kent, if all you want to do is to use the manual controller that comes with the turntable you don't need to do anything at all. Just install the TT and away you go! Now this is assuming the 90 ft table is set up the same as my 130 ft table is.

Ted

Date: 12/10/09 20:34
Author: Kemacprr

I have a question regarding the programming on a 130' Walthers. I have 15 storage tracks and 4 approach tracks . I start with one end of bridge I'll call A. Move to a track tap the button to get aligned then set. I do all tracks on the A end of bridge. I then start the B end. In a few places I end up with the B end lined up but the A end is very close to the track on the other side. I get the flashing led which is telling me that I am too close to another already programmed position. It's looking at the A end and I am trying to program the B end !!! Any tricks here ???
------------------- Ken McCorry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds