Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > "Live Steam Pioneers"

Date: 05/01/10 10:49
"Live Steam Pioneers"
Author: KeyRouteKen

In those very early days, there were primarily only TWO individuals who have been given most of the credit for starting the "Live Steam" hobby in this country as we know it today.
Simply stated: *The Man from the EAST* and *The Man from the WEST* ...
In this rare photo, this is the only known shot of the two of them taken together---

(L to R) "Carl Purinton" (Founder of the IBLS in 1932) from Massachusetts...

"Vic Shattock" (Founder of the GGLS in 1936) from Oakland, California...

Here they are riding together at Redwood Regional Park in Oakland, on the occasion of the 19th Annual "Brotherhood of Live Steamers" meet in September--1951..
Hosted by GGLS. They are riding behind Carl's "GRANNY" ...

Photo courtesy of KRK Archives.

Date: 05/01/10 15:10
Re: "Live Steam Pioneers"
Author: rschonfelder

I have to say that does not look like it would be too comfortable. It looks like they have to hold their legs out and away from the edge of the crossties to keep from snagging their clothes as they go zipping along.

Rick

Date: 05/01/10 15:48
Author: KeyRouteKen

You're right, Rick-- A lot of the older clubs had the folks riding side saddle as you see in the photo. Track was around 28-30 inches above griound.. Some places, especially zipping around sharp curves, you had better check your balance like riding a bicycle. But it was FUN.
Wish I could go back to those early days.

Ken Shattock (KRK)

Date: 05/03/10 13:55
Author: brassjournal

Isn't there a Purinton siding at the Los Angeles Live Steamers?

Date: 05/03/10 13:57
Author: CPRR

I have to agree with Ken on this. I went to GGLS for the first time in 09 and the high line is a hoot! I fell off on the first try, but after that, zoom around the track. Going back in July.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds