Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Model Railroading > Soldering Iron

Date: 02/07/11 17:08
Soldering Iron
Author: sp8192

Anyone have any suggestions/likes/dislikes for a new soldering iron? I want to purchase a new one, maybe in a kit, that is of good quality and hopefully will last a while. What y'all think?

Date: 02/07/11 17:28
Re: Soldering Iron
Author: HB90MACH

My elcheapo Radio shack one quit a few weeks ago. It was 18 years old. With hundreds of hours on it. Did the job. NNot sure how well the newer ones hold up. BUt radio shack does sell kits.

Date: 02/07/11 17:44
Author: bnsfmodeler

Buy the battery operated on at sears your life will never be the same

Date: 02/07/11 18:01
Author: ajy6b

Weller makes good solder stations that you can use to adjust the power and tips. I have had one for years and have used it for track feeds and decoders. For soldering track drops to a 14 gauge bus wire I use a soldering gun. If you are soldering pieces to brass models you might want to consider a resistance soldering station like an American Beauty.

Someone mentioned that they have had a Radio Shack iron for 15 years. There is nothing wrong with that, you keep the tip clean and take good care it should last a long time. However, I am not to impressed with some of the irons I have seen lately in the Shack or at Sears at least the cheaper ones. Just make sure it is not made in China.

aj

Date: 02/07/11 18:32
Author: tunnelmotor40

If you plan on doing some fine soldering, like on decoders and the like, I'd suggest the Iso Tip from Weller/Micro Mark. Complete with charger, rechargable battery and one tip. I'd also suggest buying an assortment of tips for finer soldering. The rechargable battery lasts quite a while and can be easily replaced when needed. Overall cost is around $60 and well worth it for my uses.

Jim

Date: 02/07/11 18:50
Author: tomstp

That Hakko unit is the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/11 18:51 by tomstp.

Date: 02/07/11 19:13
Author: CIOR

Weller....
Adjustable

Date: 02/07/11 22:02
Author: NDHolmes

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Hakko unit is the best.

Can't agree enough - the Hakko 936 is absolutely one of the finest tools I've ever owned (and I have two). Good ergonomics, good selection of tips, and good power to get the tip up to temperature and hold it there, no matter how big of a hunk of metal you're pressing it against. I solder everything from surface mount stuff to 8 AWG bus wires without issue. I love mine and you couldn't pay me to switch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/11 22:03 by NDHolmes.

Date: 02/07/11 22:37
Author: drggnfan

I'll second the Hakko irons, very nice.

Don

Date: 02/08/11 06:23
Author: cslemp

Go with an Antex. I've got two, one is their M12, 12w mini-iron that's excellent for wiring nano LED's, the other is a TC50 (50w) connected to a 660 TC station. They have numerous bits available, including an un-plated one that provides a really fine tip.

I've been very happy with both, the bits tin well, the irons heat up quickly and generate plenty of heat to do constructional soldering to parts like Railflyer air tanks. The only downside is that the stuff is pretty expensive, the 660 TC station (iron, stand, control station and a tip) is $224.00.

Antex is based in the UK, here's their website: http://www.antex.co.uk/default.asp

If you're going to order one, go through their US distributer which has an Ebay store here: http://stores.ebay.com/Antex-USA that's how I purchased mine. They were really easy to deal with and I got my order within a few days.

Before this I had numerous Weller irons and hated every one of them, the heating elements would burn out and the tips were terrible to tin. I've also used a friends' Radio Shack iron which I liked, it has a digital controller and is considerably cheaper than the Antex units.

- Chris

Date: 02/08/11 06:40
Author: ChessieCat

I have used a Velleman soldering station.
It has worked well- it comes to a fine point like a pencil and is Adjustable in Temperature.
It has worked well for rail joining-but use heat sinks, I use large door hinges on either side of
the joint to prevent melting the flex track plastic ties.

Mine is a VTSS5U.Velleman SOLDERING STATION 50W 374-896°F

their website:http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=522806

I believe it isavailable from ITC Electronics:https://www.itcelectronics.com/index.php

http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?products_id=14877
$26.85 I also ordered spare tips for it.

Good luck.

Date: 02/08/11 06:48
Author: 1802

I have an Antex C/3u model & a Weller 12 watt that I use for light work-decoders, etc. I also have an Ungar 45 watt & a Hexacon 45 watt for heavier soldering applications & I'm quite happy with all of them. Also have a 25 watt iron I got from Micro Mark about 25 years ago which still works fine. I agree with one of the previous posts-if you take care of your equipment it can last a lifetime.
Jeff

Date: 02/08/11 08:05
Author: brfriedm

I have a fairly large layout and I always had the need to do soldering on the layout. Track and wiring etc. I was talking to an electronics person and he recommended a Pro line of cordless soldering irons that are apparently heavily used in the electronics world. I bought one about 7 years ago and it has been awesome. It heats up instantly and has a long life. I loved it so much I bought a 2nd one. They sit on my workbench. One has a fine tip for installing decoders and the 2nd has a chiseled tip for soldering track. Tip changes are quick though. Just an option you may want to consider.

Bruce

http://www.iso-tip.com/products/

http://www.iso-tip.com/products-page/smart-solder-series/power-pro-soldering-iron-kit-boxed-7904/

PS - You can find some cheaper versions of these irons that run on batteries.(Micromark sells them) These are cheap and do not work very well. The one above has a built in rechargeable battery that lasts a long time and numerous tips to choose from. They also have a built in light which really helps to see especially in dark areas.

Date: 02/08/11 08:16
Author: aehouse

After badly burning my fingers by inadvertently grabbing the wrong end of a pencil-type soldering iron, I have used a Weller gun version ever since. The trigger control is very precise, and the working end cools down quickly when the trigger is released.

From a safety standpoint alone, I'll never go back to the "always on" pencil style irons.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 02/08/11 10:13
Author: brfriedm

Which is why I like the cordless ones. Push to heat and hold till your done. Tip is super hot in seconds and then cool seconds later when done.

Bruce

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After badly burning my fingers by inadvertently
> grabbing the wrong end of a pencil-type soldering
> iron, I have used a Weller gun version ever since.
> The trigger control is very precise, and the
> working end cools down quickly when the trigger is
> released.
>
> From a safety standpoint alone, I'll never go
> back to the "always on" pencil style irons.
>
> Art House
> Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 02/08/11 19:42
Author: COFLZephyr

The Hakko 936 station (and several similar models) are discontinued. I have found this little low cost station to work about as well (perfectly for N scale decoder work, track work, turnout construction, etc.) and really hard to beat for the price.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15860+TL

Date: 02/10/11 08:21
Author: KeyRouteKen

Ok guys-- with all this soldering iron talk I thougt I had better tell a cute story you all might enjoy...
First off, as an oldtime O-scale traction modeler at the former location of the "Eastbay Model Engineers Society" in Emeryville, CA.., I would normally use either a 30-40 watt iron, or sometimes a 100-watt iron to work on trackwork and overhead trolley wire... Used to use them with rosin core solder and a good brand of "soldering paste" for flux.
The brand of paste was "No-Korode" .. Still have a huge can of it in my Shop.. It should last for years..

OK-- Here is the tale I wanted to share with all of you......

"One Friday night I was up on top of the EBMES layout at what we referred to as the "North End".
I was walking around very carefully, making some trolley repairs and a few other things.
This was on the huge "Oakland, Antioch & Eastern" O-scale trolley layout. Probably one of the biggest in the United States at the time.

While I was making repairs, here and there, I happened to look up and glanced over toward the "Concord" end of the layout at the South end, some 130 feet distance. There I could see pioneer modeler "I.J. Brain", wearing his famous tin hardhat, working on the trolley layout at that location.. Something strange seemed to be going on at his locale... I could see or otherwise detect "heat waves" rising up out of the layout, like when you look out across the desert. I jumped down off the layout and made my way over to I.J. and asked what was going on.
His reply ?? I'm repairing some broken overhead trolley wire, etc... OK!!
So I then asked what kind of soldering iron are you using ?? Are you guys ready ??
Oh, he said I brought my "550-watt American Beauty with a 1 1/2" wide tip." (grin)..

I will never forget that experience.. Stay safe out there !

Ken Shattock (KRK)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds