Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > Bye Bye Masking Tape

Date: 04/19/11 21:07
Bye Bye Masking Tape
Author: ChilliSub

I bought a roll of 3/4" 3M blue painters tape for 'Delicate Surfaces' with 'Edge Lock'. This stuff is awesome. I've used regular masking tape for all these years with fairly good results. Well, no more! I'm working on a big Milwaukee Road project and the first seven units came out great with crisp, sharp paint lines.

Bruce
BNSF Chilli Sub

Date: 04/19/11 21:13
Re: Bye Bye Masking Tape
Author: RailThunder

Where did you purchase it at?

Date: 04/19/11 21:36

Got it at Lowes.

Bruce

Date: 04/19/11 22:26
Author: bnsfsd70

Bruce,
Is the Chilli Sub going to turn into the electrified MILW soon? I recall you hinting at that in MR a while back...

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 04/20/11 02:55
Author: espeeboy

Green Frog Tape... even BETTER! (basically the same stuff although they trademarked the technology first ahead of 3M)

Date: 04/20/11 12:57
More on Milw Road Roacky Mtn Division

The Chilli is alive and well for the foreseeable future.

I have been thinking about taking the Chilli Sub down in about 4 - 5 years to build a late 73' Milwaukee Road, Rocky Mountain Division layout. It was going to be double decked to make the mainline about a 1000'. Not really wanting to dismantle the Chilli though, I looked into building a building, converting our depot and a few other options.

After all that, I've decided to just build it above the Chilli. I'll have a minimum of 24" between each railroad. I have all the motive power, including 7 Little Joes and one box cab set, a small collection of 70's cars and I can use my existing CVP DCC system. I have started building trolley poles and overhead catenary pieces.

This layout will closely follow the prototype with APB signalling, TT/TO operations, cars and locomotives will be super detailed and equipped with sound and lights.

Operations will consist of two person crews, one for the head end and the other for the helper service. Eastbound, diesels from Idaho will change out or add helpers at Avery all the way to Alberton. Westbound, trains will have helpers assigned to cut off at Avery. Local work will be minimal, as the layout is designed be less intense and laid back for 4-6 people to enjoy.

Bruce
Milwaukee Road Rocky Mountain Division

Date: 04/20/11 15:52
Re: More on Milw Road Roacky Mtn Division
Author: fbe

Use Haugan to cut the Avery helpers in and out. Sometimes the MILW might use St Regis for the helper work and there was a wye track there for that purpose. The crossover in the middle of the Haugan siding was for helpers cutting in and out. The NP/BN had trackage rights between Haugan and St Regis.

Date: 04/20/11 18:13
Re: More on Milw Road Roacky Mtn Division
Author: TCnR

Is the present Layout double decked?

I don't remember right now, it would make an interesting end to end route, just eliminate a few states with selective compression.

Date: 04/21/11 06:28
Author: drolsen

I've heard great things about Tamiya's masking tape too, which apparently comes in different widths, including some narrow sizes for complex masking projects. I haven't had a chance to pick any up yet. Thanks for the Lowes tip - I'll check it out.

Dave

Date: 04/21/11 10:44
Author: grahamline

Tamiya's tape ain't cheap but it works very well, and comes in at least three widths. Here's their product page: http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=222

Shops that cater to military and car modelers sell it.

The new tape from Lowe's sounds interesting. I certainly spend enough time in their store.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2921 seconds