Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Model Railroading > Vinegar/Steel Wool cautionary tale...

Date: 04/27/11 15:55
Vinegar/Steel Wool cautionary tale...
Author: DrLoco

...So, as I got out my trusty 4-year-old container of Vinegar and Steel wool to do a little weathering on some freightcars, I went to shake up the contents. No big deal, right?
Not really paying attention, as I started to shake, the center of the metal jar lid blew off and sprayed liquid "rust" everywhere! So, after cleaning it up, I wondered "What did I do wrong?"
Can anyone blind me with science on this one? Or is this more of a case of rust never resting, and eating away at the metal lid?

This rust is a little more yellow-It makes for decent dirt and light colored rust. Still working on trying to find a good orange/red rust mix.
It's cheap and easy to make--just steel wool, vinegar and time is all you need. Just not 4 years in the same container, apparently.

Date: 04/27/11 16:08
Re: Vinegar/Steel Wool cautionary tale...
Author: MojaveBill

Vinegar is an acid...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/27/11 16:17
Author: Frisco1522

For some reason, aluminum oil paint builds up pressure when you shake it, or it used to. I can remember my poor Dad years ago shaking up a quart can of aluminum paint and the lid blew off and made him look like the tin man.
A friend of mine who used to be a paint salesman told me if you wanted to get even with someone in a paint store, pick up a gallon of Aluminum paing, give it to the clerk to put on the shaker for a while and tell him you will be back in 15 minutes.
Anyone know what caused that?

Date: 04/27/11 19:57
Author: Betsy

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vinegar is an acid...

Acetic acid. The reaction with the iron in the steel wool is producing an iron acetate and hydrogen gas.

> Still working
> on trying to find a good orange/red rust mix.

May I suggest paint.

Elizabeth Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/11 20:08 by Betsy.

Date: 04/28/11 08:37
Author: DrLoco

THank's Betsy! Yes, I was doing this steel wool thing more as an experiment. (FAIL) And figured some folks here would enjoy the mixed results.
I had read a long time ago about this, and decided to give it a whirl...
NOw I know, sometime's it's worth it to pay for a $4 bottle of Polly S instead of trying to make it yourself!

Date: 04/28/11 09:09
Author: wabash2800

I think the acid reacts with Aluminum. We had that happen at work one time when someone was using a floor scrubber and we had aluminum shavings on the floor. Quite an explosion.

Date: 04/28/11 09:58
Author: TCnR

As we all (should) know, hydrogen would make a significant explosion and possibly fire. I don't know what the magnitude would be but it would not be 1/87 scale.

> -----
> > Vinegar is an acid...
>
>
> Acetic acid. The reaction with the iron in the
> steel wool is producing an iron acetate and
> hydrogen gas.
>

Just to be obvious about it.

Date: 04/28/11 16:36
Author: chessiegp39

Remember that German blimp? What was its name again?

James

Date: 04/30/11 15:20
Author: blueflag

If real rust color is what you are looking for, you could always try what nature uses, carbon steel (iron) and water/moist air (oxygen) to create iron-oxide aka rust.

I've sprayed a freight car with water mist then covered it with an air tight container - Rubbermaid plastic bin filped upside-down. A day or two later the metal shavings are rusty and have deposited the rust on the car.

Jeff Eggert

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0693 seconds