Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Metal wheel replacements for HO cars--Which manufacture

Date: 07/16/11 22:58
Metal wheel replacements for HO cars--Which manufacture
Author: brc600

I need to get metal wheels for my HO fleet? Whose wheels are best? I have Athearn, Atlas, Exact Rail, Intermountain, Proto and Walthers cars with the metal wheels. I also prefer to retrofit in-kind (i.e. Walthers wheelsets for Walthers cars, Athearn wheels for Athearn/MDC, etc) Is that even necessary? I have Athearn trucks on a Walthers car--it did NOT work on another Walthers car, but does well on another. Thanks for your time and answers! Tim

Date: 07/16/11 23:52
Re: Metal wheel replacements for HO cars--Which manufac
Author: SRSD45

brc600 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need to get metal wheels for my HO fleet? Whose
> wheels are best? I have Athearn, Atlas, Exact
> Rail, Intermountain, Proto and Walthers cars with
> the metal wheels. I also prefer to retrofit
> in-kind (i.e. Walthers wheelsets for Walthers
> cars, Athearn wheels for Athearn/MDC, etc) Is that
> even necessary? I have Athearn trucks on a
> Walthers car--it did NOT work on another Walthers
> car, but does well on another. Thanks for your
> time and answers! Tim

Whats wrong with the factory metal wheels on your HO fleet? Personally, I use Intermountain & P2K wheelsets on my fleet that came from the factory with plastic wheels. My HO fleet that comes with metal wheels I usually leave them alone. Earl...

Date: 07/17/11 04:01
Author: funnelfan

I prefer the Intermountain wheelsets with metal axles over the P2K and Kadee wheelsets which have plastic axles. Atlas sets are shorter and won't work in most sideframes.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/17/11 04:31
Author: imrl

On cars factory equipped with metal wheelsets, I usually let them stay unless I have difficulties with the car. My wheelset of choice is also the Intermountain wheelset. I have replaced some Red Caboose wheelsets with Intermoutain and a few on the Atlas cars. Others swear by Reboxx. I haven't tried any if theirs personally, but would try those as well.

As for the matter of replacing a manufacturers plastic wheelsets for the same manufacturers metal wheelsets, I don't think that's necessary. I have Intermountain wheelsets on Athearn, Roundhouse, Accurail, Red Caboose, Atlas and several other brands of cars with no problems what so ever.

Date: 07/17/11 04:56
Author: SooLine700

I would choose Intermountain wheel sets hands down.

Date: 07/17/11 07:22
Author: grahamline

Intermountain wheels are very consistent and you can buy packages of 100. Reboxx offers the same basic wheelset in a very large variety of axle lengths, for situations the IM sets can't handle.

Date: 07/17/11 08:54
Author: ajy6b

I stick with the Athearn stock metal wheels for my freight cars. For replacing metal wheels: A) You can buy Intermountain in Bulk Packs that are quite reasonably priced. Proto 2k, and Reboxx are also very nice. Reboxx has a chart that matches up your specific freight car to the proper axle width, and Reboxx will roll very nicely. I also suggest you get the Reboxx wheel pocket reamer tool.

Kadee's are still good, I have never had a problem with their axle width. However, they are painted black even the tread. The black paint comes off and tends to leave the track dirty, but once the paint is worn off, they are very good runners.

aj

Date: 07/17/11 14:23
Author: swsf

ajy6b Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reboxx has a chart that matches up
> your specific freight car to the proper axle
> width, and Reboxx will roll very nicely. I also
> suggest you get the Reboxx wheel pocket reamer
> tool.

I only use Reboxx semi-scale wheel-sets now when replacing wheels. They are made by the same manufacturer as the Intermountain sets. I believe for maximum performance and reliability axle lengths should be matched to the needs of the specific truck being used. A too long axle will not rotate properly. A too short axle will allow the axle to move side to side within the truck frame, causing the car to lean, or worse, to not track properly. I bought the Reboxx sample kit that has several axle lengths. I pop them in one at a time until I find the size that fits best, with no side to side motion and still be free wheeling. I keep a stock of most sizes in my parts box so I can almost always find the correct length needed. I also clean up the pockets in the side frames with the Reboxx reamer. Kadees are being phased out - many are wearing out and now squeal badly, most roll like there's glue on the rails. Replacing them is well worth the trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/11 14:25 by swsf.

Date: 07/20/11 18:17
Author: stevenlsilva

i have found that bachman and intermountian are the best wheels.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds