Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Appreciation in value of model railroading merchandise

Date: 07/16/11 21:06
Appreciation in value of model railroading merchandise
Author: sandpatch25

I have always wondered whether or not model railroading supplies (rolling stock, etc) can appreciate in value, over time. Is this a legitimate statement to say in some cases? I have accumulated a lot of L.G.B. over a course of about 20 years and a lot of it is in very good condition. I was especially wondering about it.

Matthew Jablonski

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/11 21:20 by sandpatch25.

Date: 07/16/11 21:15
Re: Appreciation in value of model railroading merchand
Author: BlackWidow

Certain models definitely appreciate over time. I can look on eBay and see certain models going a lot more than their retail prices several years ago. Typically, you would have to leave them unopened to see a huge appreciation, but I have sold used models on eBay from my own collection for more than I paid for them. Of course, this is mostly and exception, but it does happen.

Date: 07/16/11 21:22
Author: Newman

The Christmas sets always hold good value...

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/11 22:31
Author: grahamline

Scale seems to make a difference. There are a few items in HO that people will bid up, but not generally. Is there still a craze for collecting Kadee/Micro Trains N scale?

Date: 07/17/11 04:35
Author: imrl

Now that I have a specific era and locale in mind for my layout, I have thinned out my HO scale car and locomotive collection quite a bit. I had lots of Athearn blue box kits with Kadee's that I bought for $4-6 nearly 15 years ago that I have sold on consignment for $10. While I wouldn't consider that a great investment, at least it's a bit better then break even. It's also helped ease the shock of today's $25-40 cars.

Date: 07/17/11 07:31
Author: up833

In N scale you can find most any loco new or lightly used with or without DCC for as little as half the MSRP. Usually however prices are in the $60 range. The NscaleYardSale at yahoo is a good place to buy and sell. Early brass is about what the original price was. Most collector items like MT cars have lower prices often well under crazy closed bidding prices...largely because of eBay. I see large numbers of MT going up for sale for $10 per car. Exceptions as in all other scales.
You can go to eBay and look at LGB items and get a good feel for what the going price is going to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/11 07:33 by up833.

Date: 07/17/11 08:05
Author: ajy6b

Unless it is brass (where you can find estimated value in the brown book of brass models), or tinplate model railroad items very rarely go up in value. Special "collectors" items may go up, like a NASCAR or Super Bowl Winning team set or Christmas set, provided they are in the original box. Most modelers don't have room for the boxes and a layout. Modelers also make modifications which may or may not hurt their value. Mostly it hurts from a collector's point of view. So hoping that model railroading merchandise will go up in value is just lying to yourself.

The only crazy things that I have seen gone up in value is where a modeler will take a shake the box or RTR model, and weather it, upgrade the wheels and couplers maybe throw on some graffiti decals then sell it on eBay. They may turn a slight profit but probably not that much if you consider the amount of time done making it so. However, if you can find a picture with a specific date of a certain car, then model and weather the car to look like the prototype, then you might get a little more money.

Date: 07/17/11 09:10
Author: JLWII2000

If you look on ebay right now there are Athearn TTX 60' gunderson box cars that I originally purchased for $20-$25 a piece selling for $50-80 a piece. A lot of 3 sold for $160. A lot of two is still at auction currently with bids up to $160. That's $80 a piece. That is the biggest demand I've seen in rolling stock that hasn't been some ultra rare gem.

Date: 07/17/11 11:39
Author: cchan006

JLWII2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you look on ebay right now there are Athearn
> TTX 60' gunderson box cars that I originally
> purchased for $20-$25 a piece selling for $50-80 a
> piece. A lot of 3 sold for $160. A lot of two is
> still at auction currently with bids up to $160.
> That's $80 a piece. That is the biggest demand
> I've seen in rolling stock that hasn't been some
> ultra rare gem.

Similiar thing happened with the well cars, where you could get Blue Box sets of five 48' well cars for $30 or less, until their supply dried up and Athearn started charging $60-$70 for the ready-to-rolls, then when the new 40' were released, in the $90-$100 range. That subsequently drove up the prices of NOS (new old stock) well cars. I obtained as many of the Blue Box ones in the old price range as I could. Not too many people run full stack trains in the clubs I participate in - I wonder why?

I've seen Tyco train sets "hold their value" but Bachmann or Life-Like sets from the same era considered worthless, so nostalgia is a fickle thing. Many of the dealers at train shows score their items at estate sales and flea markets, where they obtain large quantities at pennies to a dollar, and buy the junk along with the diamond in the rough.

As for the OP's question, heres my answer: appreciation in value is the exception, not the rule. If you buy the items new, then there's less chances of the value appreciating. If people are hoping to just "sit on" their merchandise and hope for appreciation, you'll be very disappointed.

Date: 07/17/11 11:44
Author: navarch1

JLWII2000 Wrote:
> If you look on ebay right now there are Athearn
> TTX 60' gunderson box cars that I originally
> purchased for $20-$25 a piece selling for $50-80 a
> piece. A lot of 3 sold for $160. A lot of two is
> still at auction currently with bids up to $160.
> That's $80 a piece. That is the biggest demand
> I've seen in rolling stock that hasn't been some
> ultra rare gem.

They should call around more. As of about 3 weeks ago, my LHS still had the Atheran cars in stock, in both their Genesis and ater RTR incarnations (the 60' cars) - all at discount prices. I tend to pick one up every so often.

Bob

Date: 07/17/11 12:58
Author: BlackWidow

The advent of eBay has completely changed the way I collect HO scale models. Before the days of eBay, I was more careful about what I bought, since if you ended up not liking it or it just didn't fit in, you were stuck with it. However, with eBay coming simultaneously with the advent of such high quality models the past few years, I have bought a lot more freely, both at the LHS and online. I know if something doesn't work out or if I just don't like it, I can sell it, perhaps not recovering full price, but recovering 50% to 75% in most cases. Throw in a few upgrades, such as decoders, knuckle couplers, metal wheels, a few details, a little paint, and there is a decent chance you can make a full recovery of the purchase price.

A couple of posts back mentioned the stack cars, and I had the same experience. I could not believe how much they sold for on eBay and I definitely came away with a net gain there, even after the knuckle couplers and metal wheels. I suppose the cost of the new equipment has gone up so much, it does drive the price of the older, cheaper stuff up as well. Just a few years ago, I wouldn't dream of paying more than $10 for a freight car or $50 for a diesel locomotive. You can double or triple those prices now just to get something worth buying.

Date: 07/18/11 17:31
Author: ajy6b

cchan006 Wrote:
> JLWII2000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Not too many
> people run full stack trains in the clubs I
> participate in - I wonder why?
>
>
The price of the well cars is one thing, but add in the price they are charging for the containers and that should answer your question ;). I thought I saw a price of $24 for a 6 pack of Athearn containers. The price can quickly add up.

aj

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds