Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Model Railroading > Fast Tracks Jigs for HO Scale Turnouts

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/19/11 07:59
Fast Tracks Jigs for HO Scale Turnouts
Author: sd39u

I was wondering if anyone on here has had some experience building turnouts utilizing the Fast Tracks jigs? For those who don't know about them, they can be found here: www.handlaidtrack.com

I am just about to enter the benchwork phase of my 1800sq ft basement ATSF empire and was looking towards the future with respects to track. Walthers Shinohara Code 83 turnouts are getting close to $28 each, the Peco North American Code 83 turnouts are about $39 each. If these Fast Track turnouts are as easy to build as it looks, it might be a way to build good quality turnouts for about $7-9 each.

I'll be using Micro Engineering Code 83 flex-track since it's actually cheaper than the Atlas stuff now, plus it looks a whole lot better. I've been stocking up on flex-track for a little while now. Turnouts...I think I've bought 9...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/11 08:06 by sd39u.

Date: 09/19/11 09:24
Re: Fast Tracks Jigs for HO Scale Turnouts
Author: Focalplane

I have looked into Fast Tracks but decided not to go down that route because the cost savings depend on you needing a significant number of the same sized switches. One 3 way, for example would be an expensive proposition that would offset the savings of building several similar switches. I like the concept though and would consider custom building with PCB ties if they could be found at a reasonable price.

The cost and availability of track does seem to vary enormously. My dealer in southern France tells me that ME rails are made in France but cannot be obtained in that country as they are all exported to North America!

So I just bought some Peco switches (Finescale OO gauge Code 75 electrofrogs) for £10.50 each (large radius left/right) from Hattons in the UK.

I'll be interested in other modelers' opinions on this question as I still have an HO project to start and would like to use the PCB approach.

Date: 09/19/11 09:34
Author: CIOR

I've bought a couple jigs and tools and have built many for my layout and love them.
There is a small short learning curve on how to do them, I suggest watching the video before building one (no matter how many times you have watched the video).

Then dig in. My first switch a #6 took me right at 45 minutes, now its less.
The thing that takes a bit is to file all the points and getting the frogs built. Everything else is simple. I guess you could go ahead and just make up a bunch of points.

Lucky for me, I used #8's on all CTC mainline switches, #6's on all industrial tracks off mainline, and #5's in any tight industrial application that a #6 would be too tight.

Date: 09/19/11 09:38
Author: Lighter

Focalplane Wrote:

> like the concept though and would consider custom
> building with PCB ties if they could be found at a
> reasonable price.
>

Fast Tracks sells PCB ties in different thicknesses and in various scale widths.

CTucker
NoVA

Date: 09/19/11 10:06
Author: choochooboy

I have many Fast Tracks switch building jigs, and I absolutely love the product. They are excellent in the least.

Blaine Hadfield

Date: 09/19/11 10:10

I figure I'll buy a #6, #8 and #10 turnout jig if I go with them. I model the ATSF in 1995, so lots of 89' equipment and I know the bigger turnout that I can go, the better it will be when it comes time to operate.

I figured that I would build them 'assembly line' style. Build a whole pile of points, stock rails, guardrails, etc. Put all the parts in marked bins and then sit down with the jig and build switches with just the PCB ties, figuring that I'll lay my own ties on the benchwork at a later date.

I should also mention, that another local modeler and I are considering doing this together, I'll buy a couple jigs, he'll buy a couple jigs and we'll sit down a 3-4 nights per month and get jiggy with it...pun intended.

Date: 09/19/11 10:31
Author: swsf

sd39u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if anyone on here has had some
> experience building turnouts utilizing the Fast
> Tracks jigs? For those who don't know about them,
> they can be found here: www.handlaidtrack.com

Real modelers don't use jigs. They shape and file each rail from a metal bar by hand, cut their own ties from trees they have grown themselves, and make their own spikes using a small hand made forge. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/11 10:31 by swsf.

Date: 09/19/11 10:39
Author: campgus

I too have built the Fast Tracks turnouts, in fact I gave a clinic on doing just that.
I also partnered with a fried who is building a new layout, I bought 5 and 7, she bought 4 and 6, so together we can build a bunch of turnouts. You can progress from jig built to custom fit turnouts once you understand the system. Use the tools to make the standard parts and custom fit the turnout to your layouts needs.
A great system.
Gus

Date: 09/19/11 11:11
Author: Out_Of_Service

campgus Wrote:
> I too have built the Fast Tracks turnouts, in fact
> I gave a clinic on doing just that.
> I also partnered with a fried who is building a
> new layout, I bought 5 and 7, she bought 4 and 6,
> so together we can build a bunch of turnouts. You
> can progress from jig built to custom fit turnouts
> once you understand the system. Use the tools to
> make the standard parts and custom fit the turnout
> to your layouts needs.
> A great system.
> Gus

hmmm ... so you don't have to worry about going to 1st base 2nd base or 3rd base with her ... you go from #4 #5 #6 and then home i mean #7 ... niiice

Date: 09/19/11 11:46
Author: WP282

swsf Wrote:
>
> Real modelers don't use jigs. They shape and file
> each rail from a metal bar by hand, cut their own
> ties from trees they have grown themselves, and
> make their own spikes using a small hand made
> forge. :-)

Not only that, they dig up the iron ore themselves and smelt their own steel in a scratch-built scale blast furnace.

Date: 09/19/11 11:58
Author: grahamline

Our club bought the jigs, tools and so on. We use enough #6 turnouts that the cost of the jig is spread out. Count on tossing or replacing the first couple of turnouts -- after that it goes pretty quickly. The ease of using the filing jigs etc. gives your track people more time to work out special applications, and it helps to build skills.

There's also a ready eBay market for used jigs.

Central Valley also sells switch kits that work pretty well. Check out an exceedingly detailed article on a hybrid switch-building process at http://issuu.com/mr-hobbyist/docs/mrh11-09-sep2011-ol?viewMode=presentation&mode=embed on page 48.

Date: 09/19/11 14:15

I can see that the shared use of the jigs would make a lot of economic sense. Trouble is, I live a long way from other modelers!

BTW, thanks for the tip on PCB ties, but they still seem to be a lot more expensive (relatively) than when I first handmade all-PCB track in 1972.

Date: 09/19/11 15:48
Author: ChessieFan2

It looks like most of the reviews have been positive in regards to Fast Tracks and I'm here to post that my experience was no different. I concur that if you watch the instruction videos, you will get the hang of it quickly. 35-40 minutes per turnout is my average. I built 40 or so turnouts and sold a few on eBay. That can help offset the cost of the jig too.

My only complaint and it's minor is the repair needed from time to time. I've had the switch points pop off and need to be resoldered. But, that's the only "complaint" I have. Otherwise they are very smooth. I can back long trains through them and they perform well.

ChessieFan2

Date: 09/19/11 16:07
Author: Frisco1522

I'm sure that the folks over here in Fenton, MO would be surprised to know that ME track is made in France. I'm surprised also as I've watched them make and assemble it.

Date: 09/19/11 16:20
Author: 1stcajon

A friend built several of these very easily. He got to a place on his layout that things didn't quite fit right. Instead of cutting everything up to make changes it only took his soldering iron to loosen the solder & it was fixed!

Date: 09/19/11 18:04
Author: swsf

ChessieFan2 Wrote:
> My only complaint and it's minor is the repair
> needed from time to time. I've had the switch
> points pop off and need to be resoldered. But,
> that's the only "complaint" I have.

I've had that problem with my hand-laid turnouts. I now use silver-bearing solder for this critical point-to-throw bar contact area. Silver solder melts just like regular solder, but is strong enough to withstand the extra tension created by the switch linkage pushing the point against the stock rail. This stronger solder is easy to find, including at RadioShack.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/11 18:06 by swsf.

Date: 09/19/11 19:03
Author: atsf121

I have not used their jigs, just their pcb ties. But I will say they have great customer service. I'm building a custom crossing now and might try the jig for some custom switches eventually. Good luck!

Nathan

Date: 09/20/11 02:14
Author: rschonfelder

ChessieFan2 Wrote:
> > My only complaint and it's minor is the repair
> needed from time to time. I've had the switch
> points pop off and need to be resoldered. But,
> that's the only "complaint" I have.

I can tell you that "solders ain't solders". If you've happily picked up the solder you use for joining wires you were headed for problems from the word go. I don't have a URL for it but you need to jump on board with a great range of solders from Carr's in the UK. Google it and see where you can find it in the USA. I recommend using the "Green" solder and flux for doing your turnouts.

Maybe Brian Moore can give us the home URL for Carr's.

Rick

Date: 09/20/11 06:06

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses. I think I'll be ordering a couple of jigs very soon!

Date: 09/20/11 06:47

I only related what the French model shop owner told me! Thanks for the correction.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0896 seconds