Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Model Railroading > Overtake at Bly on the OC&E (GFSM Style)

Date: 10/02/11 14:40
Overtake at Bly on the OC&E (GFSM Style)
Author: ColoradoRailfan

If you haven't had a chance to visit the Greeley Freight Station Museum yet and you get the chance at some point, I'd highly recommend going! The mainline is about 28 scale miles long. There are six sidings along the journey, all of which fall under CTC control.

Yesterday, SP 4449, leading the "Freedom Train" was riding the yellow of a freight (#262). The dispatcher was able to put 262 in the hole at Bly and allow the Freedom Train to run around on the main. Thought you might enjoy a few pictures of the event!

Before getting to the overtake though, here are a few pictures of the CTC machine itself. The CTC hardware is run using Bruce Chubb's C/MRI. For those that know his system, there are three SUSIC cards (all in the CTC machine) and 15 SMINI's around the layout.

====================

1. The west end of the railroad coming out of Chiloquin at Klamath Falls.

2. The middle of the railroad on the climb over the summit at Quartz Mountain.

3. The east end of the railroad from Sycan down through Lakeview and over to Fairport.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/02/11 14:40
Re: Overtake at Bly on the OC&E (GFSM Style)

4. 262 is heading down the grade toward Bly, the west switch aligned for the siding and 262 will get a low yellow. SP 4449 is a block behind on yellows. Note the east switch is already aligned for the main for SP 4449.

5. With 262 now in the siding, SP 4449 will have a clear signal at the west switch.

6. A shot on the layout at the east switch of Bly and SP 4449 comes around train 262 (led by SP 9154).

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/02/11 14:41

7. Another look back at the CTC machine. With the Freedom Train now well past Bly, train 262 is aligned out the east end of Bly.

8. And, to close, a look at the Freedom Train when it isn't "streaking". The train is passing over the draw bridge at Nasty Flats on the way toward Fairport.

========================

Thanks for looking! Have a great weekend.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/02/11 17:46
Author: burlingtonjohn

Any more shots of the Freedom Train?

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 10/02/11 20:51
Author: barrydraper

Two comments: Someone REALLY needs to make an analog clock that can plug into the NCE cab buss.
Real men use a trainsheet, not cute little magnets!

Barry Draper

Date: 10/03/11 04:46
Author: sd39u

I'm just glad to see that the CTC Machines that I sold Doug Geiger are being used again. Those were former ATSF machines rescued from Cleburne, TX. I believe Doug also used one for his layout.

Date: 10/03/11 07:19

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any more shots of the Freedom Train?
>
> Regards,
> Burlington John

Not right now. The next time I am up there, I'll try to get some more of it to post. :)

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 10/03/11 07:20

sd39u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm just glad to see that the CTC Machines that I
> sold Doug Geiger are being used again. Those were
> former ATSF machines rescued from Cleburne, TX. I
> believe Doug also used one for his layout.

The last I heard, Doug was indeed using a former ATSF machine on his layout. The one in Greeley, however, was actually customer-built by a metal works shop in Greeley for the museum!

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1034 seconds