Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn U50 short

Date: 10/02/11 11:28
Athearn U50 short
Author: rminer

Anybody have any problems with the Athearn DCC ready U50 shorting out the track the moment you set her on the rails??

Date: 10/02/11 12:03
Re: Athearn U50 short
Author: ACR_Ted

Mine was shorting while going through non-DCC friendly turnouts account the wheel sets gauge was too narrow. Is yours shorting at a turnout or everywhere?

Ted

Date: 10/02/11 12:35
Author: rosenth

Somehow yes. I put the U50 *without* DCC-Decoder on my DCC-powered track and it made the Digitrax short-circuit-breaker (a PM42-unit) to trip. On a piece of track attached to a normal DC power pack it runs fine. Further investigation is needed (probably putting in a DCC-Decoder and look how it works with this....) . However since we'll move I' currently tearing down my model railroad so testing has to be postponed...

Date: 10/02/11 16:26
Author: theACe

Our U50's we got in the store all shorted out on DCC track, but they all operated just fine after DCC/Sound installation.

Date: 10/02/11 16:59
Author: ACR_Ted

I suspect the shorting on DCC track is account all of the circuit boards and components inside...there are *2* pcb's loaded with parts in the engine, which is likely a short to DCC. Once a decoder is installed, it is fine.

Ted

Date: 10/02/11 17:33
Author: rminer

Thanks all. I'm sure that is the issue as it is sounding common via the thread on here.

Date: 10/02/11 20:21
Author: ATSF429

My Veranda Turbine did the same thing on DCC. It is in the DCC plug in that plugs into the DCC socket. Take it out and put a DCC decoder and it should be okay on DCC.

Date: 10/03/11 10:41
Author: Larry020

So let me get this straight. The short occurs only when you run
the engine on a dcc railroad before you install a decoder? I will
assume you are test running the loco on address 0, only to find
out the engine is shorting out?

Larry

Date: 10/04/11 08:54
Author: rosenth

yep, so it is. I tried on DCC with address 0. But as previous posts stated this seem sot be "normal" behavior. Will add ASAP a decoder to see....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds