Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > Show us your junk train.

Date: 10/02/11 10:00
Show us your junk train.
Author: Santafes95

I love the high speed intermodal hotshots on the Santa Fe as much as anyone, but at the end of the day, they still ran some pedler freights, that we alsways called junk trains, with all kinds of four axle power and a neat mix of cars.Do you run any "junk" trains?

Date: 10/02/11 11:39
Re: Show us your junk train.
Author: atsf5701

That's a very nice piece of junk you have there. Unfortunately, my junk is just useless debris.

Date: 10/02/11 11:59
Author: johneasterly

Oh well, My Junk is "O" Gauge

Date: 10/02/11 12:27
Author: gp39

TOO CLEAN to be a junk freight train!!!!

Date: 10/02/11 13:39
Author: rbx551985

Here are 2 shots of the freelance Chesapeake Bay & Western RR (the largest HO scale Virginia club, 7 miles south of Yorktown, Va.), with various RR's equipment, some weathered, some not so much. "JUNK FREIGHTS" are my specialty, and CB&W's hosting of them is a frequent thrill. 'Sorry for the poor quality of the shots, but those 1-time-use cameras don't have a focus/zoom function which works for scale model photography -- at least not to my liking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/11 13:40 by rbx551985.

Date: 10/02/11 16:31
Author: tomstp

All my trains are "junk" trains.

Date: 10/02/11 17:27
Author: coaldrag

Woooooow what a concept !!! You guys actually have track and everything. I always thought you were to keep stuff in boxes in the closet ??? You actually run your trains. Maybe I need to get some what-you call it again ....... Oh yeah "track". How do you you make it look so real ... You know the green stuff by the .... track ?? Do you plant grass or what ????

Date: 10/02/11 17:55

C'mon coal drag, make a trip to the lumber yard and get those trains unpacked. One small step at a time.

Date: 10/02/11 17:56

Great looking trains. Almost too good of power to qualify!

Date: 10/02/11 18:01
Author: UPRR3985

Santafes95 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> C'mon coal drag, make a trip to the lumber yard
> and get those trains unpacked. One small step at a
> time.

It's ok coal drag, after 18 yrs I am finally going to get back into HO scale and build another layout! I can see this will take longer as the prices are 5X but the quality. Wow!!

Date: 10/02/11 18:12
Author: JayK

GP60s used to be the pride of the fleet. Now a single unit on the local picks up grain cars at the Argonia, NM CO-OP.

Date: 10/02/11 19:23
Author: tomstp

Nice.

Date: 10/02/11 23:37
Author: SantaFeRuss

gp39 Wrote:
> TOO CLEAN to be a junk freight train!!!!

Actually, Santa Fe kept their power pretty clean for the most part. Not too unbelievable. I'll have to come down and check out the Chesapeake Bay & Western. Do you guys sell freight cars? These "junk trains" are nice.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 10/03/11 02:29

Yeah right, the models are sooooooooooo clean, you can almost eat off-em! :-) Maybe some road grime and dull coat would look a little more realistic. :-) Yeah the CB&W I still think has some CB&W light blue 3 bay covered hoppers for sale. We have an open house event coming up the weekend before Thks giving and we should have them for sale at the door.

Date: 10/03/11 05:34
Author: Hiroshi

Here is mine!

Date: 10/03/11 06:41
Author: ts1457

Santafes95 Wrote:
> I love the high speed intermodal hotshots on the
> Santa Fe as much as anyone, but at the end of the
> day, they still ran some pedler freights, that we
> alsways called junk trains, with all kinds of four
> axle power and a neat mix of cars.Do you run any
> "junk" trains?

I don't know about junk train. Without seeing what the locomotives are pulling, I can't make that judgement. But that GP20 sure junks up the power consist. It's probably dead weight by now <G>.

Nice looking assortment of intermediates (that's what we called them circa early nineties in Santa Fe's SOC).

Date: 10/03/11 14:04

Now this is is getting a lot better at being 'junk' freight power!!!!!!

Date: 10/03/11 14:57
Author: rbx551985

You really LIKE "JUNK TRAINS" on model railroads? I sure do. Here are more shots on the CB&W freelance club layout near Yorktown, VA:

(1) Various cars from freelance "New Virginia Central Railway" (NVCR), with many former ROUTE ROCK cars, and a couple of insulated RBL boxcars from freelance "Virginia & Atlantic (V&A) Railway."

(2) Here's a eclectic collection of yarded cars. Various freelance model railroads are represented here, including CB&W, Mississippi Valley RR, Virginian & Ohio, Utah Belt, and more.

(NOTE that the tracks in photos 1 and 2 show no ballast; that was just over a year ago: NOW the yard is completely finished with ballast around all tracks.)

(3) A CB&W local, with 1 CB&W unit and 1 V&A unit power a train downhill on the CB&W's layout, emerging from a rain storm (more cars are out of the shot). Another Utah Belt boxcar is first out on the long freight train. (The CB&W layout near Yorktown, Va. can handle huge trains, although most public running sessions keep them at siding length to handle 6-to-a-dozen or so trains at a time; club members who "appreciate" a more prototypical freight-train length will "build them out" to super-length as open houses draw to a close.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/11 15:00 by rbx551985.

Date: 10/06/11 09:54
Author: RS11

"Touch my junk and I'll sue you." Would have thought that would have been said before now. Is it just my twisted mind??

Date: 10/06/11 18:01

That was just too easy wasn't it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0654 seconds