Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Model Railroading > A couple new vehicles I've been working on

Date: 01/25/12 17:45
A couple new vehicles I've been working on
Author: funnelfan

I'm always on the lookout for diecast vehicles that will work in HO scale. Recently I found a CAT tractor that would make a great log loader in a Matchbox set. I reworked the boom to be similar to the prototype and it looks like a excellent model. Physically it's a bit larger than the Norscot Excavator, but still slightly smaller than HO scale. It will be perfect for a mountain top logging scene.

I also found out that Hotwheels made a 1987 Nissan Pickup that is near HO scale (slightly smaller) back in the 80's as part of a color racers set. The pickup was the only car in the set that would be near HO scale. I soaked the metal shell in brake fluid for several days to soften the paint and then cleaned the thick paint off with a wire brush wheel in a Dremel tool. Still have quite a bit of work to do to put reasonable tires and wheels among other details on the rig.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/25/12 18:47
Re: A couple new vehicles I've been working on
Author: icancmp193

Ted - That Nissan is a little rough right now, but new paint and wheels should help. It's also one of the few Nissan models ever made in 1/87. I had never heard of it before, and I've been doing the vehicle thing since 1987. Keep us posted on progress!

Tom Y

Date: 01/25/12 18:58
Re: A couple new vehicles I've been working on
Author: PHall

If you want to make that Cat log loader look like a Cat, go on down to your local Cat Dealer and pick up a spraycan or two of Cat Yellow touch-up paint.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds