Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > White Metal

Date: 03/14/12 18:10
White Metal
Author: 1802

Is white metal the same stuff as Zamac & does this stuff break down over time. I'm considering an RS-3 kit bash with one of the Tiger Valley kits which are made from white metal & want to know what I'm dealing with before I start...
Jeff

Date: 03/14/12 20:44
Re: White Metal
Author: grahamline

They are cousins, at the very least. Don't have any experience with Tiger Valley's product, but the durability depends on the purity of the original ingots, and how they are handled in casting. As you're probably aware, some 50-year-old zamak crystallizes and crumbles, and some is fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Date: 03/15/12 05:31
Author: kgmontreal

I'm not sure why you would want to do an RS-3 kitbash in white metal. Stewart/Bowser makes phase 1, 2 and 3 RS-3 shells in styrene and Andy W makes resin sides for the Canadian phase. What more could you want? Styrene is much easier to kitbash than white metal.

KG

Date: 03/15/12 06:47
Author: 1802

I'm doing a Hammerhead kit from Tiger Valley - LV # 211 & their Hammerhead kit looks quite good. It's just the short high hood in white metal that I'll fit to the Stewart/Bowser shell. It comes pre drilled for all the grabs & with the to be added detail parts including the correct fuel tank specific to this model.
jeff

Date: 03/15/12 07:19
Author: Lighter

1802 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is white metal the same stuff as Zamac & does this
> stuff break down over time.

I've not heard of problems with Tiger kits. The rotten Zamac seems to have been a problem way, way back. But there has been a lot of white metal in the hobby since with no issues.

Date: 03/15/12 08:42
Author: CNW

I have a Hobbytown RS3 still running that I built in 1973 (since rebuilt with an Atlas RS3 drive). The body castings appear to be ok yet.

Dennis

Date: 03/15/12 09:13
Author: rdsexton

Not sure what they used for the casting, but my 50+ year old Roundhouse Atlantic is very brittle, beyond any repairability.

Date: 03/15/12 11:54
Author: Larry020

Years ago I bought an engine from eBay that had "gold colored
wheel assemblies and a metal frame with the name Kadee on it".

It was an OMI drive of course. I bought it for spare parts. Those
frames had not been out too many years, but it was already soft
and brittle.

I was told to paint them ASAP in the future. Don't know if that
was an urban myth or not.

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds