Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > Here's a few more from Anetta in October 1976

Date: 05/22/12 21:40
Here's a few more from Anetta in October 1976
Author: xtra1188w

Were you at this meet back in October 1976 Tom? Shane is a mite young to have been there by himself back then isn't he? He was alive back then but he was still having to ask his mama if he could do anything back then, didn't he?

Is Art Olds still with us Tom?

Con

Date: 05/22/12 21:50
Re: Here's a few more from Anetta in October 1976
Author: xtra1188w

This is Clem Echols on his GP20. Clem was attending this meet from Florida. He was a retired railroad engineer who'd worked for the L&N if I recall right. He designed and built this GP20 himself. I suppose he had plans for the car body and trucks, but he had two Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines that powered two automotive generators or alternators which drove the traction motors on the axles. Each axle had its own traction motor. He would add kerosene to his gasoline mixture to get a bit of smoke in the exhaust and the aroma sort of like a real diesel engine. He had even designed it to run in 8 throttle positions just like on the prototype. It was the most authentic model of a diesel locomotive that I have ever seen.

Con

Date: 05/23/12 05:30
Author: WrongWayMurphy

In Oct 1976 I was living in Nacogdoches, a sophomore at SFA studying
the inner workings of the beer keg. I paid little attention to the SP
in Nacogdoches, and had no idea model trains was an adult hobby, much
less the live steam thing.

I have no idea how I made it though those years in tact.

Date: 05/23/12 07:20
Author: tomstp

No, I was not there. Didn't get into the hobby till 1979.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds