Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Model Railroading > Awash in cheap Athean UP Veranda Turbines

Date: 06/06/12 11:19
Awash in cheap Athean UP Veranda Turbines
Author: railwaybaron

Does anyone know why there is a flood of cheap Athearn UP veranda turbines? Horizon has been selling them directly at $149. and Ebay has them as low as $99.99 with free shipping. What did Athearn do to end up with so many of them?

Date: 06/06/12 13:03
Re: Awash in cheap Athean UP Veranda Turbines
Author: highgreengraphics

Must have been overproduction. I always thought they UNDER-produced the first regular turbines, their value seems to hold way up there, even now. Athearn must have thought so, too, then made too many Verandas, which to me should be more popular than the first turbines, especially since the first ones were already done in reasonable fashion by Lionel in HO (remember those?). But it would be tough to accurately figure the fickle nature of HO modelers! Possibly the effects of the poor economy, and less discretionary spending come into play, also. I do not think this bodes well for the release of the 8500-HP turbines, but we'll see how the DDA40X's do. I still have issues with the too-dark yellow hue on both turbines, hope they get the DDA40X's right! === === = === JLH

Date: 06/06/12 15:45
Author: P42hogger

The 99.00 comes with out the tender

Date: 06/06/12 22:32
Author: checkmate007

Go to www.wholesaletrains.com. Without tender $69.99 with tender $99.99

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?Scale=HO&Item=athuptrbn&ID=200827188

Date: 06/07/12 00:14
Author: E25

Before you place an order with Wholesale Trains, you might want to check this out...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2455095,page=1

Date: 06/07/12 06:56
Author: checkmate007

I haven't had any issues with them. Supplies are limited just like anyone else.

Date: 06/07/12 09:40
Author: HorizonHobbyTrains

JLH is on the right track. We (Athearn and Horizon) thought the Veranda Turbine would be as popular as the Slab Side Turbine so we speculated heavily on the order quantity. Unfortunately sales did not work out the way we anticipated so we had quite a few leftover after preorders shipped. Now we want to make room for upcoming shipments from the backlog of orders caused by the factory closure earlier this year. Verandas are currently on sale for Father's Day directly from us as well as participating retailers for $84.99 without tender and $119.99 with tender. All four road numbers are available. Shane

Date: 06/08/12 22:07
Author: ssloansjca

Thanks for putting them on sale. I got one, and it is a nice model. It was not a model I had planned to buy, but I did since you put it on sale, and I appreciate it and I am a loyal Athearn customer!

~Steve Sloan

Date: 06/09/12 12:13
Author: schmo

As much as I love the turbines, I'm saving my money for the DDA40X. Life on a budget.

Date: 06/09/12 13:05
Author: railwaybaron

In fact there is at least one Veranda Turbine with Tender for $99.99 buy it now on an auction site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds