Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > SP Class MK-4 (2-8-2) "Mikado" # 3217

Date: 08/19/12 11:42
SP Class MK-4 (2-8-2) "Mikado" # 3217
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody-
My late grandfather "Vic Shattock" built many locomotives powered by steam. Two of them were "Mikados". SP 3254 and SP 3217. 3254 had larger diameter drivers and was Class MK-6.

In October-1938, the SP provided transportation to New York City for my grandparents to attend a broadcast of "Hobby Lobby", sponsored by Fels & Co. They were put up in the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. Inside the baggage car, safely wrapped, was a Southern Pacific "Mikado", # 3217... The show host was Dave Elman.

At the broadcast (October 19, 1938) my grandfather fired up the locomotive and ran it thru its paces with cylinder cocks hissing, whistle blowing, etc.
Those sounds were heard all over the country on a National hookup. After the show, my grandfather agreed to let the SP keep the engine in New York for some time, for publicity in the window of their ticket office they had in Manhattan. It was shipped home to Oakland at a later date.

When it was shipped home on the train, it was dropped, but it was packed so well, it turned out ok.

In 1968, Vic gave the 3217 loco to A.S. McCann, Western Division Supt of SP, as a gift.
He was transferred to the Tucson Div and later passed away. His family had the engine on display for a while in the Arizona Pioneer Historical Museum and the McCann family later re-claimed it. Today, I have NO idea where it is. The McCann family has NEVER wanted any contact with our family. Strange, but true.

If any of you ever spot little 3217 someday, I would be grateful to know where it is.
Thank you.

KRK

Photo 1. SP 3217 with Vic Shattock at Hobby Lobby in New York City.

Photo 2. SP 3217 on the turntable in Vic's basement in Oakland. It and its 3254 sister
were custom painted for Vic by the SP.

Photo 3. Some of you have often wondered what the track diagram was like in Vic's
45 x 32 foot basement, so here is a sketch of what it was. Pretty darn simple
really ! But for having a bunch of STEAM locos in the basement, it provided a
lot of entertainment for visitors and a heck of a lot of fun for ME as I lived
in that home in Oakland for fourteen years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/12 11:44 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 08/19/12 17:25
Re: SP Class MK-4 (2-8-2) "Mikado" # 3217
Author: warrenpweiss

Ken - What happened to 3254?

Warren

Date: 08/19/12 17:40

warrenpweiss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken - What happened to 3254?
>
> Warren

Hi Warren-- Wasn't YOU that I told the story to about the engine that was destroyed and converted into little pieces by a GGLS member who didn't know what they had or how to fix a little hole in the smokebox that was leaking steam ??

The new owner of the pieces put it back together except for a new boiler and misc fittings. I MIGHT be able to get a recent photo of the chassis!

KRK

Date: 08/19/12 19:57
Author: warrenpweiss

Hi Ken -

I wasn't the one who told that story but I did take some photos of the re-assembled chassis and the tender back in the early 90s when I was visiting the GGLS for a half-inch scale meet. I'll need to find them and scan them if anyone is interested in seeing them, just let me know. I am curious about what, if anything, happened to it after that. It was a fantastic model - it even had its own steam-driven water pump.

Warren

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/12 21:07 by warrenpweiss.

Date: 08/20/12 05:32

Here is a photo of poor SP 3254 without a boiler at the GGLS "small scales meet" held just a couple of weeks ago. My grandfather would have been sick to see this engine today.
What a crime when someone takes a "work of art" and ruins it.

I may also try to post a larger size photo.

KRK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/12 08:15 by KeyRouteKen.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds