Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Model Railroading > NCE Consisting Question

Date: 11/08/12 20:21
NCE Consisting Question
Author: philhoov

I am having trouble with consisting two new BLI SD40-2s and turning off the rear engine's headlight using the NCE ProCab DCC system.
Can anyone tell me how this can be done?

Date: 11/08/12 20:26
Re: NCE Consisting Question
Author: sandmanre

I always selected the number of the loco in question, and turned it off there. Then you can select the consist and should be ready to go. There may be another way, but that worked for me.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 11/08/12 22:13
Author: outpost

With NCE, you don't need to ever use the consist number. Just set up the consist using the next available number selected by the system. Then select up the lead loco's address. The display will now say "CON:1234" instead of "LOCO:1234" or whatever the loco number is. By doing this, you can control just that unit's lights.

Date: 11/09/12 06:36

The challenge I am having is that I can't access the rear engine after I build the consist.
My local hobby shop says that I shouldn't set up the engines separately in the NCE system; but only add them to the consist.
I have two pairs of BLI SD40-2s (Santa Fe and UP).
With the Santa Fe's, I can select the rear loco (before I build the consist), then turn off the rear engine light, delete the engine, build the consist, and then I have a consist with the rear engine's headlight off.
The UP engines will not work that way.
I have also tried resetting CV231 (headlight brightness) in the rear engine to zero and that doesn't work.
I am wondering if I have caused this problem, or if I have a UP engine with a bad decoder.
Will be calling BLI today to get their input.

Date: 11/09/12 09:20

I think I have figured it out.
Solution seems to be to select the rear loco, turn off the headlight, then build the consist, then de-select the rear loco after building the consist.
Now, I need to figure out how to turn off the ditch lights on the rear loco.
Probably need to reset a CV for that, but haven't tried yet.
Hope this will help some of you out there!

Date: 11/11/12 08:33
Author: outpost

Something is amiss.

On our NCE system, AFTER you build the consist, you can select either the front or the rear loco via the "select loco" button at any time. This HAS to work (and does on ours) since you might operate the lead loco, drop some cars, and then change ends to operate the "rear" loco (now in the lead position) back to the yard. I can select the front loco, turn on/off headlights (or rear headlights if I want). Then do the same with the rear loco if needed. If I'm running light power, I can build the consist, turn on the rear loco's headlight and select the "dim headlight" function as per "rules", then select up the front loco and turn on the headlight and GO!

Date: 11/11/12 10:33

I will try building the consist first, THEN selecting the individual loco's.
I had been doing the opposite.
My LHS has advised to NOT select the individual loco's and just build the consist, but that doesn't allow me to address each loco separately.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds