Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Another gold spike

Date: 11/16/12 12:35
Another gold spike
Author: santafedan

I have been helping a friend with his HO Great Northern Railway. We got the golden spike in yesterday.
It is double deck with a staging yard in another room. He has a unique way to double deck it and it is fairly low on the first level. However, that is how he wanted it so it is OK with me.
The layout room is 34 by 20 I think.

Date: 11/16/12 13:01
Re: Another gold spike
Author: BostonMaine

Congratulations Ron and Dan.

Date: 11/16/12 14:01
Author: Jimmies

Looks great! Are you going to cut in a spur to that Elmer's Glue plant on the right?

Jim

Date: 11/16/12 16:09
Author: rehunn

Golden spike huh? Don't you guys think the levels are too close together and it's time to
start over??

Date: 11/16/12 17:17

rehunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Golden spike huh? Don't you guys think the levels
> are too close together and it's time to
> start over??

It was HIS choice to be that way. Why question him? If that is waht makes him satisfied, so be it.

Date: 11/16/12 20:52
Author: puddlejumper

I believe that was a humorous reference to "a model railroad is never finished", with "the levels are too close together" as an excuse to tear down in order to keep building. He wasn't questioning the man, or his layout.

We are all railroad enthusiasts, so I'm sure you've heard the saying "It's the going, not the getting there, that's good".

BTW, that layout looks great, and big! I envy anyone that can afford such an expanse, though I am satisfied with my 12x20. I would never be able to complete a multi-deck layout of that size.

Dave

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/12 20:55 by puddlejumper.

Date: 11/16/12 22:58
Author: CSabresXr1

Two things I like about this layout:

1. Great lighting
2. You stand up and operate with the second level and not be looking up or have to reach WAYY up or over to get derailed equip (it happens) AND you can also sit down to operate the bottom level in a computer chair and roll along with the train.

Date: 11/17/12 05:57
Author: alco539

Jimmies Wrote:
> Looks great! Are you going to cut in a spur to
> that Elmer's Glue plant on the right?
>
> Jim

Looks like a tank farm.! LOL.!

Date: 11/17/12 09:46
Author: rehunn

Yes that was a humorous comment as to a "finished layout", and as most of us who have built layouts can attest
there are times when you finish something, stand back and feel like redoing what you had just done. That's a nice
piece of work, and it is well lit and certainly something to be proud of, but, and I guess that's what keeps us going,
it can always be improved.

Date: 11/17/12 14:05

rehunn Wrote:
> Yes that was a humorous comment as to a "finished
> layout", and as most of us who have built layouts
> can attest
> there are times when you finish something, stand
> back and feel like redoing what you had just done.
> That's a nice
> piece of work, and it is well lit and certainly
> something to be proud of, but, and I guess that's
> what keeps us going,
> it can always be improved.

I will take it that way. I guess I hear so often that "you should have..." You finish the sentence.
We have rolling stools for the lower layer. I will post other photos later.

Date: 11/17/12 15:25
Re: Another gold spikehttps://shop.trainorders.com/secu
Author: dnuck

I think it is a Great layout so far! But I do not accept that it is anywhere near "Finished". Having said that let me say what impresses me most is the amount of trackage that is viewable from the camera placement position. Although it is always a relief to get all of the trackage installed in place, which obviously allows one to "run trains' it is the finer points, aka scenery, that makes our railroad empires all come together. It would be a real pleasure to see this Great Northern empire come together as it becomes closer to perfection over time. Thanks for posting this Dan.
Doug/dnuck

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds